cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure, NODE, VALUE, and FUNCTIONAL MAPPINGS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys -

I am a novice to XI. But, I guess as per my understanding this is what I think. Please advis me if you have better opinion that would justify this answer in certifrication.

XI by definition supports only the following 4 mappings types:

Message (Graphical), XSLT, JAVA & ABAP

However, first in Element cardinality addresses something called NODE MAPPING which describes as follows:

Mapping of Non Mandatory Nodes (minOccurs=0)

====================================

1. If a non mandatory node contains elements with minOccurs>0, these elements becomes mandatory after their parent node is assigned

2. Assignment of element is not sufficient

3. Node has to be 'created' by assigning a suitable source node/element

Therefore, as per this discription, I believe NODE mapping a valid for CERTIFICATION

Secondly, as per my understanding of message mapping, we map source and target STRUCTURES here. Does not this mean STRUCTURE MAPPING? Please confirm?

Thirdly, You experts all must have done Value Mappings in your projects and there is no need for me to describe more about it. Can not we consider this as a valid answer for CERTIFICATION?

Last but not least FUNCTIONAL MAPPING; I am not sure why this option is here? May be this is just to add confusion. On the otherside, it make sense if we consider including functions (both standard and user-defined) in our mapping. Does this make sense being a valid Mapping at all?

In other words, let me ask you all experts; Is this a direct or indirect question? If it is direct then we should turn down all the options. If indirect, may the first 3 are correct or all four.

Therefore, I rely on your guys for you input. Please provide your valuble analysis.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks every one for your valuble input. I am concluding the answer as follows:

STRUCTURE MAPPING

VALUE MAPPING

NODE MAPPING

are valid mapping types in XI. Although we use FUNCTIONS in mapping, there is not something called FUNCTIONAL MAPPING. Because we do not map two map two functions like we do in NODE, STRUCTURE, and VALUE. Hope clarifies for any one else referring in future unless I here a different opinion.

Thanks once again.

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

All -

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate all of your help. It all comes down to "Strucutre, Value and Node mapping are valid types".

However, I see some kind confusion with the term FUNCTIONAL MAPPING. I am leaning towards marking it as not a valid mapping. Because, we use functions in our mappings but that does not mean it is a valid mapping correct?

Thanks all once again.

Krishna

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Technically speaking XI supports only Strucutre and Value Mapping ( Please refer to the document I have given in my previosu reply! ).

Yes, you do Node mapping and you do use Functions to attain mapping, but they are only logical terms and so wrt to an XI certification question, XI supports only Strucuture and Value Mapping.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh -

Thanks for taking time to clarify me. I am still confused with NODE mapping. IF I do not ask, I will be confused for ever, if I get it clarified then I feel much better. So please help me out here.

I believe NODE mapping valid as this is identified as part of ELEMENT CARDINALITY and described by SAP in one of thise TBIT materials. Is this not the case? Why is not considered TRUE for certification exam? Please clarify and apologize for your time.

Krishna

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Logically as well, what does one do in the mapping step?

We convert the Source <b>Strucutre</b> to the Target <b>Structure</b>.

I dont think the terminology Node Mapping is used anywhere in the TBIT, maybe we can logically say that mapping internally uses Node Mapping, but SAP does not use that terminbology and so we cannot use it in the pure technical sense!

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh -

I do not mean to argue. But trying to understand why it is not considered TRUE. Please look at page 58 of the following link which clearly describes Node Mapping:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/9202d890-0201-0010-1588-adb5e89a...

This is why I believe we should mark it as TRUE in exam.

Please advise if you have a different opinion and this is not considered true.

Thanks,

Krishna

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Healthy interactions are always welcome!

Looks like I am wrong! Apologies for the confusion here. Thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bhavesh

Thanks for clarification.

Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudarsana,

The types of message mapping viz. graphical, ABAP, java and XSLT - are the features of XI.

On the other hand, the types - structure mapping and value mapping - are general concepts. Any integration tool should support these.

<b>Structure Mapping</b> is not very much concerned which values are being mapped. It is more concerned about the structure of source and target elements.

It can be of two types (these don't have formal names as such)

1) Mapping values of some source elements to some target elements

e.g. source has element <fname> which is directly mapped to element <FirstName> in the target.

2) Mapping values after changing the element structure

e.g. source is

<name>

<fname> --- </fname>

<lname> --- </lname>

</name>

And target is

<fullname> --- </fullname>

So here we concatenate source elements and map to target.

<b>Value Mapping</b> concentrates on the actual values that are being mapped.

Sometimes the requirement is like although source and target strcutres are similar, values need to be translated into another set and then mapped.

e.g. we have an element called <TravelClass> in both source and target element.

Now assume that source message uses codes such as 1, 2 etc. for this element. However, the target mmay expect strings values such as 'business', 'economy' etc. for this element.

In such cases, we use value mapping. Essentially we achieve the following translation:

1 -

> business

2 -

> economy

In graphical mapping we have a standard function called ValueMapping to define a simple table like one above.

Finally, the term 'Functional Mapping' is given only to confuse the people

Hope this clears your query.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>Does not this mean STRUCTURE MAPPING? Please confirm?

Yes, when we map one source structure to target structure then it is structure mapping.

In XI we have value mapping also.

>>FUNCTIONAL MAPPING

In XI there is no concept as FUNCTIONAL MAPPING,but we have standard and user defined functions which can be used for mapping source and target structures.

It is a indirect question.

Thanks.

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

><i>Secondly, as per my understanding of message mapping, we map source and target STRUCTURES here. Does not this mean STRUCTURE MAPPING? Please confirm?</i>

Yes, XI supports Strucutre Mapping and Value Mapping.

Page 3 of this document

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/6658bd90-0201-0010-fbb6-afe25fb3...

Regards,

Bhavesh