cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How about two SDN "blogspaces" : one FOR points and 1 NOT FOR points ?

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I suggest that the current SDN logspace be divided into two subspaces:

one for points: this is where technical and/or non-controversial messages would be posted and be rewarded according to the current rules

one not for points: this is where folks would post "controversial" messages (technical or non-technical) that would not get any point reward.

I would personally prefer to post in the "not for points" subspace, for several reasons.

But I'd prefer to see what others have to say before saying what they are.

By the way, there's a US expression "preaching to the choir". The new blog (for no points) would be for those who are not necessarily "preaching to the choir".

djh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

david,

i think i do understand your intention and therefore agree with you.

IMHO, the blogsphere here on SDN, as execellent as it is, is kind of a 'posing platform' rather than a discussion space. People do post their contributions, receive their points reward and expect some congratulations and cheering if anything at all. I happened to me that people got upset when I questioned the use or correctness or usefulness of some of the content of their blogs. When it did this with the intention to discuss matters, I recognized that people actually didn't want to discuss their contributions.

Of course the things said above do not hold true for for a big number of contributors.

The same thing thing in the forums. A lot of people do provide very valuable answers but often not discuss matters when points are already given.

So having a discussion area, free of the rewards system's pressures might be a helpful addition. Something like a discussions corner. In Vienna we call this 'Kaffeehaus'

A place where you post some free thought where you don't have to justify the minimum blog reward points, where you don't have to apply the care expected in drafting a blog, etc..

Just freestyle discussion on useful or not so useful topics.

regards,

anton

Former Member
0 Kudos

one of my favourites with respect to the above said is <a href="http://www.groklaw.net">Groklaw</a> where a very vibrant discussion is happening without any reward system and other constraints.

Nigel_James
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You could just opt out from receiving any points from any blogs you write David. I am sure the rules could extent to that.

Nigel

former_member181923
Active Participant
0 Kudos

That was my "fallback" position, NJ. But I thought maybe others might share similar feelings on the matter, in which case a separate space would be more appropriate.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards

djh