cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDOC or RFC

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi friends

i want to understand the advantages/limitation of idoc adapter vs rfc adapter. if i want to generate a customer or vendor in r/3 system, we can use respective IDOCs or BAPIs. but which is the best suitable in terms of performance, simplicity and flexibility.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

RFC's support synch processing but Idoc's support only asynch processing.

So, if your requirment is that you need to have a synch processing, then going for RFC's can help.But, if a standard Idoc is available and your requirment is asynch , then Idoc's should do the trick.

Ofcourse, if your SAP system is on a WAS of 6.20 or greater, and if load is going to be high, proxies provide the answer.

Regards,

Bhavesh

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

IDoc is convenient for aynschronous scenarios i.e you simply send a message and there is no response required / expected.

e.g. If you want to move vendor master data from one system to another, then IDoc is the best option.

However, there are other cases where you want immediate response to your request.

e.g. you want to create a Purchase Order, then after giving necessary data in the request, you need the Purchase Order No. back. This is synchronous scenario. For such scenario, RFC/BAPI is suitable.

In performance, IDoc is generally better than RFC. Whereas, RFC is more suitable where response is required.

As far as XI is concerned, the pro's and con's of sync and async scenarios also apply here. i.e. Async messages are always persisted, but sync messages are not persisted (unless loggin is switched on) etc.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Refer this blog by Ravi on chossing the right adapter between RFC and idoc or proxy.

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

Regards,

Sudheer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bala,

Good thread..

/thread/127699 [original link is broken]

cheers,

Prashanth

P.S Please mark helpful answers