Did you mean: 

what is menat by bapi ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi xi gurus,

Can any one please explain very clearly

1)what is meant by bapi?

2)Difference between idoc and bapi?

3)what is the reason that r/3 is using idoc is there any specific reason?

4)wt is the difference between rfc destiantion and rfc adapter?

I would request the people who are going to reply..please explain clearly.

Thanks in Advance.

sekhar.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI

1)what is meant by bapi?

SAP has introduced object-oriented technology in the R/3 System by making R/3 processes and data available in the form of SAP Business Objects.

External applications can access SAP Business Objects through standardized, platform-independent interfaces - BAPIs. SAP Business Objects and their BAPIs provide an object-oriented view of R/3 business functionality.We can say a BAPI as a method.

a)SAP provides different BAPIs for the standard business objects say for e.g. we have business partner, so SAP has provided different BAPI's to manipulate the Business Partners.

An IDOC is an intermediate document wherein you can send or recieve data from any external system as per a predefined structure.

b)BAPIs are not totally immune to upgrades.

IDOCs may be more changable from release to release.

c)BAPIs are reasonably well documented.

IDOCs are poorly documented.

d)For BAPIs the client code needs to do the appropriate error handling.

Idocs – by using tRFC – support guaranteed delivery.

IDOC is an intermediate document which can be compared as an envelope which carries the data in a secured way to the destination.In simple we can say it is the data format for the structure.

RFC adapter is used to enable the functions we are using to link or to transform a source structure to the destination structure.

RFC DESTINATION:

When calling a function module using the RFC interface, the calling program must specify the parameters of the connection in the form of a destination. This destination defines the type of connection, the partner program, and the target system

Just go through the link below

Regards,

Gunasree.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chandrasekhar,

See this too..

/thread/127699 [original link is broken]

cheers,

Prashanth

P.S Please mark helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>1)what is meant by bapi?</i>

These are the Bussiness Application Programing Interfaces for doing specific functionality in R/3 like Creating Purchase Requistion, Purchase order,Vendor, Cutomer,etc..

SAP provided so many BAPIs in each and every module.

The main deference is BAPI is synchronous and IDOC is Asynchronous communication. (In IDOC also synchonous possible by ALEAUDITS) .

IDOC data can be persisted, Tracked, view the runtime data.

RFC destination is used to identify the target system.

RFC Adapter is used to communicate with R/3 system.

Regards,

Ansar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ansar,

I am very thankful to you for your great response,I have one basic doubt

can you tell me what is meant bysynchoronous and asynchoronus in this situation and give me one example to make myself prfect.

what do u mean by persisted?

Thanks in Advance.

sekhar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sekhar,

The meaning of synchronous is that, in a BAPI, you can expect a response to a message which is posted to it. In IDOCs, this is not normally possible.

cheers,

Prashanth

P.S Please mark helpful answers

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Asynchronous means only one way communication. Idocs wont support two way communication where as the RFC supports both. Persisted means data from the idoc can be written to the database(persistent layer).

Regards,

Sudheer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) A BAPI is nothing more than a function module which is remote enabled and does not raise any exceptions. These are designed to encapsulate some business process, like the creation of a purchase order. The interface is well defined and documented. This is so that a developer who is not necessarily familar with SAP or ABAP, can call this BAPI from outside the system via .net or java. You can create custom BAPIs, by following the naming conventions are creating in the BOR(Business Object Repository), but mostly developers use the BAPIs delivered by SAP.

3) IDocs are text encoded documents with a rigid structure that are used to exchange data between R/3 and a foreign system. Instead of calling a program in the destination system directly, the data is first packed into an IDoc and then sent to the receiving system, where it is analyzed and properly processed. Therefore an IDoc data exchange is always an

asynchronous process. The significant difference between simple RFC-calls and IDoc data exchange is the fact, that every action performed on IDocs are protocolled by R/3 and IDocs can be reprocessed if an error occurred in one of the message steps.

While IDocs have to be understood as a data exchange protocol, EDI and ALE are typical use cases for IDocs. R/3 uses IDocs for both EDI and ALE to deliver data to the receiving system. ALE is basically the scheduling mechanism that defines when and between which partners and what kind of data will be exchanged on a regular or event triggered basis. Such a set-up is called an ALE-scenario.

4) The RFC adapter enables you to use the functions of the Integration Engine or the PCK in existing SAP landscapes.

RFC Destination:

When calling a function module using the RFC interface, the calling program must specify the parameters of the connection in the form of a destination. This destination defines the type of connection, the partner program, and the target system. You can manage it using transaction SM59, and it distinguishes between a variety of connections, such as TCP/IP or SAP connections.

2) Refer this thread

Regards,

Sudheer.

Message was edited by:

sudheer babu