cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JDK on WAS 6.40 with NW SR1

Former Member
0 Kudos

I installed JDK 1.4.2_06 which is the stated version on note 716604 for NW04 SR1, and when I get prompted for the JDK directory on SAPINST.EXE from Installation Master for I386, then start the startinstgui.bat, (I get the following error within the sapinst.exe welcome wizard;

Directory C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin is not a valid JDK directory: the java executable is missing

This was the directory sapinstgui.bat ran with JAVA_HOME C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\java.exe

Weird? Why is the directory with java.exe accepted by SAP GUI, but not by the sapinst?

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06

PATH=C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin

We are new to SR1, any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

James

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

I believe that you need to download and install the j2sdk1.4.2_06 not just the JRE.

Cheers

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

I should have caught this error, duh! Thanks guys.

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is j2sdk-1_4_2_05 supported?

James

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No it is not. You need to download j2sdk-1_4_2_06

Cheers

Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Daniel,

could not find j2sdk-1_4_2_06 on http://java.sun.com?

I tried j2sdk-1_4_2_05 and sapinst.exe accepted it, obviously, it may not work after the install.

Regards,

James

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

take 1.4.2_07 from http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Hope it helps

Detlev

PS: Please consider rewarding points for helpful answers. Thanks in advance!

daniel_davinci
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

For some reason sun like to hide the old versions away. I think mostly to make us frustrated...

It can be downloaded as I recently got it, I think I searched on google for it...

I would listen to Detlev anyway and download the 07 version as he is usualy right about such matters.

Cheers

Daniel

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

for many reasons, I like SUN (for some, I do not). In this case, they are really nice: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/index.html

Second, thanks for the complement Anyhow, in this case my posting does not rely on deeper experience. But:

The _xy versions of a JDK are bug fixed versions without API changes (so: mainly bug fixed JVMs). Apart from the (very seldom, never experienced) case of a regression, in general such bug fixed versions work. Or better: The probability that the software won't crash in general should get increased. So it is generally advisable to upgrade the JDK _xy versions.

Hope it helps

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

I managed to get _06 from Google. _07 is on sun.

Thanks.

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Detlev,

We got done with NW04 SR1 for standalone. You have a brief process flow on the distributed components on NW04 SR1? Basically, If we are running a DB+CI on a four (4) processor server separate from the two J2EE servers (two load-balanced J2ee nodes), what would be the options on Sapinst.exe wizard? Thanks.

Regards,

James

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

sorry, no experience at all on this topic.

Best regards

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Detlev.

Regards,

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

You stated the path to the jre instead of the sdk.

That would make it:

JAVA_HOME=C:Program FilesJavaj2sdk1.4.2_06

PATH=C:Program FilesJavaj2sdk1.4.2_06 in

So the error is correct....

Björn