cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

One Track per System-Line or per SoftwareComponent

0 Kudos

Hello,

we are about to develop Java-Applications with NWDI and DeveloperWorkplace (loca WebAS and NWDS). For NWDI we are considering to just have one development track and one maintenance track per system-line (development, test and production runtime system). This would reduce the number of tracks for a runtime/target system to 1 (compared to 1 per SC deployed on a target system).

What are the pro's and con's about this idea?

Best Regards,

Manuel

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Manuel,

I think the right strategy here is the release strategy of your software products and or SCs.

For example: I've you are developing 2 products; every product has 2 SCs and every product should have maintenance then you have 2 tracks (devel + main) for each product. And each track take care of 2 SCs.

In other words: If you develop only one product and each SC is part of this product it can be the right strategy to have only 2 tracks (devel + main).

It will be more complicate if your share one SC with 2 products with different release strategies. Then it could be a solution having an extra track for this SC.

Best regards, Marco

0 Kudos

Hello Marco,

I look at a track as a tool for transporting the software through the different stages of development to production systems.

What are the/your arguments for having one/two tracks per product and not per system-line (contains multiple products and one productive system)?

Best regards,

Manuel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manuel

Yes that would work if you knew all the SCs that you would develop beforehand. If say somewhere down the line a new project was initiated and you had to define a new SC. You could add that to your track but chances are that you will have to do a System State Restore on the track and this could potentially disrupt development especially if you are developing modifying large SCs like ESS. In this case I would rather create a new track for the new SC even if they are for the same "system line". So this is one scenario where you might need to create an additional track for a new SC for the same system line

Regards

Pran

Answers (0)