cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping back to Auto-ID field

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have an Auto-ID number that is created in MDM. We then syndicate this (and other data) out to XI through a BAPI and it returns this number and a second number created externally. I am unable to map the field on the source file with the matching Auto-ID on the destination file in MDM so that everything else maps correctly. We have key mapping turned on.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Donald,

If you want the key generated externally to be mapped in the MDM, that record has to be imported into MDM again with the Import action set to <b>Update Null Fields</b>. Your import map should map the number generated externally to the Remote key field in the import manager.

The other way to do this is to invoke the <b>MDMRemoteKey</b> webservice to create the mapping in the MDM system.

Regards

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suman,

Thanks for your suggestion. Perhaps I'm going about it wrong. Let me go into more detail as to what I am working with. Here are some example field values:

MDM

Customer MainTable:

Remote Key: NULL

ID: Auto-ID

Cust-ID: Calculated = ID + 1000

Customer: 90001234

SAP_ID: NULL

Customer_Cont:

Contact_ID: NULL (to hold contact tracking #, unique to contact)

SAP_ID: NULL (to hold SAP_ID of contact)

What is happening is that I am syndicating out to an XML file which will hold four fields:

CUSTOMERNO: can be any number

MDMCUSTOMER: will be NULL upon syndication

return_item_CONTACT: NULL

return_item_MDM_CONTACT: NULL

The idea is that these will be syndicated out with a key in CUSTOMERNO and then when it is returned by XI, the R3 system to which it was syndicated will be returning values for MDMCUSTOMER which will be mapped back to SAP_ID in the Customer Main table as well as

return_item_CONTACT:

return_item_MDM_CONTACT:

which will provide the data going into the Customer_Cont table.

Within Import Mgr, I have mapped the field CUSTOMERNO to the following fields:

Remote Key, Cust-ID, Customer

ID: Auto-ID will not allow itself to be mapped to.

I have remote mapping turned on and for exact and partial matches, I set the option to "Update (NULL fields only)", but in every instance, it simply creates a new record. I am afraid I am missing a step in creating a key. Is there a way to populate the "remote key" value before syndicating it out?

Thank you in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Which is the field you are using for matching the record in the <b>Match Records tab</b> of Import Manager?

I guess you are trying to use Import Server to do this. Try to do the following

1 Turn off the import server

2. Use the xml you are getting from R3

3. Use the same map you are using with Import Server

4. Go to the Match recods tab and check if the record you are getting from XML is matching with any existing record

5. If it is matching with existing record, it will update the null values else it will create a new record.

6. If it is not matching the existing record (which in your case shouldnt happen) try to find out why it is not matching..

Good luck

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Suman,

I would LIKE to use the Auto-ID field that is generated when a new customer is created in MDM through a Java API from the Portal. I can map this field out in a syndication, but it will not allow me to map back to it in an import. So, I have created a calculated field (Auto-ID + 1000). THIS field will allow me to map back to it and is what I have used for records matching. I have to use a new map since the new customer is created in MDM from the Portal and then syndicated out to R3. Only the four field above are returned from R3 to be matched to the original record.

Not everything has been created yet, so I am making preliminary tests. Thus, I have created the small file syndicated out that I mentioned above. Then, I manipulated the contact information and try to import it back in. I use my calculated field for matching. Actually, I try to match everything. The fields that do not match (the new "SAP_ID" that will be returned from R3) are new fields and would be created. The calculated Customer_ID matches and triggers a "partial match" which I set to "Update (NULL only)". Is this my mistake? Should I ONLY do record matching for this existing Customer_ID and NOT match the new field? Is this the reason that it is creating a new record instead of updating the existing?

Finally, is there a reason why, when I create an import map, I am not allowed to map to the Auto-ID field, but am able to map to this calculated field (Auto-ID plus 1000). I will be at my office in 5 hours and will test my idea above and report back here on that.

Thank you again for your patience...we're total novices here.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

We also have a similar issue. How do we map to an Auto Id field when importing. In our case we are creating the new data on import and want an auto id for each instance of a qualified record.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don,

In your scenario you should match the records only based on Customer_id (calculated field). You should not use the id that got generated in the backend to match the record.

Setting the Default Import Action to <b>Update NULL fields only</b> will work in your scenario.

Regards

Suman

Answers (0)