cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determining the URL of a WD Application

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to determine the URL of a Web Dynpro Application during runtime. Statically I can look this up on the Properties tab of the Web Dynpro Application (field URL). But I want to determine this during runtime because I don't want to hardcode the link.

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards,

Jens

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

You don't need to. Just use "{name of the application}". Please ref to the following blog for more details and other url notations.

<a href="/people/thomas.szcs/blog/2006/07/18/basic-concepts-150-url-semantics">link to the weblog</a>

Best regards,

Thomas

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jens,

call method

CL_WD_UTILITIES=>CONSTRUCT_WD_URL

regards

phil.

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> call method

> CL_WD_UTILITIES=>CONSTRUCT_WD_URL

As this method has its purpose, please only use it as a last ressort for a number of reasons. Some are on the meta level of having a clean design and decoupling an application from the low level task of handling URLs. Well, the major reason is that "{name of the application}" relieves you from calling a method while you can use a constant...

Best regards,

Thomas

P.S: The method allows you to do quite fancy things like specifying the type of client device - something that is considered bad programming style in Web Dynpro (IN_CLIENT is not the current "client" aka '000' gg). It's a very old method, created in the beginning of 2003. Alas, we can't remove it for compatibility reasons.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi thomas,

is a new version planned?

I have used it at every site I have been.

Should i be using another way ?

Regards

Phil

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

A new version is not planned. It's advised to use the "{}" notation. It can be used in LinkToURL or other URL-type ui elements. There was a gap that it hadn't worked in exit plugs, but this one has been closed. If you detect a place, where the "{}" notation cannot be used, just drop me a mail.

Best regards,

Thomas