cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sherlok on j2ee 6.40 - detectives needed to figure this out

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello,

i am running j2ee engine 6.40 sp10 on windows, no enterprise portal, but a straight-forward j2ee application ported from weblogic. out of desperation to fix serious (5-10 times consistently) performance degradation on j2ee engine, comparing to under weblogic, i downloaded and installed sherlok according to the instructions found on this site by searching 'sherlok'.

unlike some other performance and profiling tools, this one at least does not cause the server process to hang. in other words, both dispatcher and server are able to start successfully and the telnet access seems to connect to the right place. but getting useful results is still a struggle.

#1 when i modify the default.skp file with my own settings and set this config file via jvm parameters, none of the modifed parameters are effective. in the telnet console, "lsp" always shows empty values for ProfilePackages and ProfileExcludes etc. i have to explicitly override them using the "set ..=.." command.

#2 even doing #1 doesn't give me what i want. for example, when i try to set multiple packages to profile, it just ignores all but the very first package specified. same with excludes.

#3 as others have asked (in portal forum), i can't find any sherlok.log file on the hard drive.

#4 since i don't run portal, the installation doc indicates there is a sherlok.ear file i can deploy and then use the web interface. deployment seems ok but acessing http://localhost:50000/sherlok keeps erroring out.

does anyone out there have successful experience with sherlok, especially in a non-portal environment?

thanks.

wentao

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

SarmaAdithe
Explorer
0 Kudos

Where can i find sherlok.ear

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

please add the following java parameters to your instance using the config tool

-Xdebug -Xrunsherlok:ConfigPath=sherlok

now create a subdirectory in the server node

cluster/server<nr>/sherlok

in this diectory you find the sherlok.pwd and as soon as you "start log" the sherlok.log.

copy/create a default.skp into this directory. Please look also into your work/std_server<nr>.out: sherlok writes the expected port and the detected configuration into this file.