cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI Java Installation: Clarification Needed!

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm wondering if someone could help clear this up for me:

We have installed NW2004s SPS08 on Solaris with only the usage type EP (AS Java/EP). Awhile back I was tasked with connecting our BW ABAP system to our Portal ("Integration into the Portal" - transaction SPRO etc).

After starting this task I noticed I was missing things that the instructions were telling me to configure; i.e. Items that were related to BI that weren't in the Portal such as certain roles, the BI Repository Manager etc.

Reading around, it seemed like I need to install the BI usage type.

I have now been tasked with another installation of the Portal (NW2004s SR1 this time), but am trying to head off the problems I'm experiencing trying to connect the Portal to our BW ABAP system. This will be a Java only installation. I've read that BI-Java requires EP and AS Java, and that if I install the BI-Java usage type, EP and AS-Java will be installed automatically.

My question is, if I do the BI-Java installation and it automatically installs EP/AS-Java, will the Portal still act the same way as it does in my EP/AS-Java only installation I already have? We have many plans to use the Portal as an entry point for all of our backend systems, so if the Portal's capabilities are not what we see already (in our first installation of just EP/AS-Java) then we will have problems.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated and I will award points accordingly.

THANKS!

Beau.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you install portal please install BI Java at the same time. This will install BI usage type and your SAP Portal still work as normal.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers...

Yogesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beau,

yes, your portal will act like your first installed portal. There is only the BI usage type as an additional application.

Regards

Timm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

If you run the sapinst of NW04S_SR1 you will get few check boxes refering to the components you want to intsall.

Select AS Java,EP and BI. Your installation will go ahead.I will suggest that you also check DI.

All these components will work absolutely fine.

Any issues feel free to contact.This type of installation is called as ALL IN ONE installation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that's what I needed to know.

I was actually wondering about DI as well. Our developers are having problems deploying .EAR files to our original EP-only install. They can deploy .PAR files with no problems, but .EAR files always error out. Maybe having DI will solve this problem as well? I'm a little concerned about the hardware capacity of this box with having BI, EP and DI all installed on it. I had contacted SAP about installing DI a while back and basically they had told me to install it on a seperate server, by itself. We're running a Sun Enterprise 420R, 4G of memory and a 450 mhz processor for this new installation. Do you think this box is capable of handle EP, BI and DI (AS-JAVA)?

Thanks for your help!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Beau,

sorry but I have not to much experience with DI. I would say, that your hardware is OK for this installation. But this is only my opinion without to much practical Know How about DI

Regards

Timm