cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Variant Configuration

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea if variant config in SAP can be used for web configuration as well? As I understand, SAP has an internet configurator available in mySAP CRM to do this. However, we plan to upgrade to ECC 6.0 (where we will implement this functionality) a few months from now, and were wondering if we can use variant config functionality in the interim. Basically, here is a summary of what we want to achieve:

Suppose a customer is looking for a home theater system. We want to be able to present him with a set of questions on the web (based on a set of characteristics in SAP). The answers for these questions would flow into SAP (via an RFC) and trigger variant config and eventually present the user with a set of options to choose from. The customer would choose the various components of the home theater system and this data will again flow into SAP and create an order.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

i'm not clear with what exactly you are looking for.

but in SAP R/3 4.6c you can create a knowledge base for your Object and that would be seen in your product config on you CRM system.

if you need further info, let me know

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prayarna,

What u are asking is exactly what i am doing.

The answer to your question is yes the variant configuration can be used via WEB(This is the real power and flavour of SAP, ECC 6.0 would be the best to choose).I am right now involved in variant configuration of electrical products.I can bet that when u apply variant config to your products/materials in SAP the company will get more closer to their customers.The customers can choose what they exactly want.I have previously being involved in Web Development projects, so i can also tell u that variant configuration on WEB is being provided by SAP and in the industry if not unique but amongst the best to use.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gaurav,

Thanks for getting back. When I talked about variant config, I meant the functionality in R/3. Though I understand that ECC 6.0 has Internet Configurator, but as I mentioned in my initial message, we are not looking at upgrading right now, and want to see if we can utilize the R/3 variant configuration in the interim.

Have you ever used R/3 variant config to do the web configuration stuff?

Thanks,

Prayarna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes I have used it, infact my most of the variant configuration has lasted into R/3. May i know which version of r/3 you are using in the interim?

Regards,

Gaurav Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Gaurav,

We are on 46C. In the cases where you used the variant configuration for web, did you use ITS? How were you managing the interface between the web pages and variant config in R/3?

Thanks,

Prayarna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prayana,

In our case whatever models(the variant materials) after being completely built the whole thing gets transfered to a knowledge base sort of replica and for understanding you may take it as a kind of Web Server(like IIS) real-time attachment with SAP actrual server(R/3). Where it is very easy to get to the materials with a web page.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Neo,

I am currently considering upgarding my variant configuration from 4.6 C to ECC 6. I understand from the thred that you have already done this. Would you be able to guide me on the issues you faced on this upgrade?

Regards,

Irene