Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy procedure on Windows / SQL

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I have a need to create a system copy from the production system in order to do a test upgrade from R/3 4.7 non-unicode to ERP 2005 unicode.

I have read the System Copy for SAP systems on WAS 6.20 guide from SAP, but would like to know if I really need to take SAP down during the export. The copy will only be used for upgrade and unicode conversion testing, so the application data is really not the critial for us at this point.

Also, if anyone has their own system copy procedure / handbook I would be very happy if you would be so kind to share it with me.

Kind Regards,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

MichaelTe
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

see notes:

<a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/151603">Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database</a>

<a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/683447">Note 683447 - SAP Tools for MS SQL Server</a>

Regards, Michael

Message was edited by:

Michael Teubner

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

I am thinking of performing the system copy using the SAPInst export procedure, and then install an R/3 4.7 system and database using the export from the production database as a substitute for the "Export CD" content.

Are there any pros/cons to either procedure?

Regards,

Thomas

MichaelTe
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

both ways are ok. But I preferred the method copying the database files.

I don't know if you can use your own export cds for the installation in release 4.7?

In higher releases this is possible but with 4.7 I don't know.

And you have the time doubled: you must export your productive system and import your testsystem.

To copy the database files is not that time consuming. It's faster (and stabler).

I've done it always with the copying of the database files and it worked very good for me; had never any problems.

Regards, Michael

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Michael,

Do you have a "step-by-step" manual that you have created for this process? That would be very helpfull, as I tend to find that the notes are missing some information and confuses me more than guides me.

Regards,

Thomas

MichaelTe
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

I always used the note 151603. The second note is very new to me, and so I have not used it so far.

So I didn't create a step-by-step manual on my own because for me there is nothing confusing in the note 151603.

If you have questions ask it here, perhaps I can help you with this.

It's really very easy.

Regards, Michael

ThomasKjelsrud
Participant
0 Kudos

Michael,

Ok, I will be performing this system copy some time this week or the next. I will post questions to this thread if I run into problems. I hope to reach you then.

Regards,

Thomas

MichaelTe
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

good luck, and go ahead.

It isn't that complicated!

Regards, Michael

Answers (0)