Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Gui 6.40 remotelly - Strategy for scenario with different GUI vers

nucleosap_refer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello

Thanks in advance for your comments, its my very first message here;)

I am also a very rookie SAP BAsIS, so I beg for your understanding if I eventually say something..naif.

We have more than 1400 computers with SAP Gui.

Some have GUI 6.20, others have GUI 6.40 (patch 15) and others have GUI 6.40 (patch 21).

Our goal is to assure that:

- all existing computers have the same GUi and Patch level

- in the future, we have a more practical tool to upgrade GUI.

Until now, Gui was installed manually, one by one.

In order to manage GUI in a simpler way (remotelly) we have just created an Installation Server (IS) with GUI 6.40 and Patch 21.

Since our network is not very fast, we are using Server-Based_Local Installation

By using SMS, we will send a .BAT file to a specific client, with the following command:

xxxxx\SAP_install\setup\sapsetup /p:"refer" \silent

Server\SharedFolder\setup\sapsetup /p:"<PackageName>" \switch

Our question is: from some manual tests we've made, clients with GUI 6.40 are successfully updated with the above command.

But the GUI install in clients with 6.20 fails. The only way we succeded to install 6.40 in these computers, was to uninstall SAP component and then install 6.40 again. This way, no error appeared and it worked OK.

Our conclusion was:

- new computers or computers with GUI 6.40 -> sapsetup from IS

- computers with GUI 6.20 -> unistall Obsolete GUi + sapsetup from IS

If we confirm this, we have to add an "Uninstall GUI command" before the above mentioned "Install GUI command" (sapsetup), which will create an even bigger workload in our not-so-fast-net.

According to SAP's GUI 6.40 Guide, we can install 6.40 in a client with 6.20 without a previous Uninstalation.So, why are we getting these errors in 6.20 clients? (Note: the version of our SAPSETUP.EXE file is 7.2.23.215)

Is there a 'better way' to achieve our goals?

If possible, we'd like to ear from you asap.

Thank you

Paulo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

nucleosap_refer
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello

I managed to sove my problem.

Thanks

Paulo