cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST06: Load Average

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I've been consulting two different Basis Consultants with this question and got two different answers, so I will just try this forum to figure out which one is right:

I have a WEB AS server with 12 CPUs (running Business Warehouse) where the load average is between 4 and 10. In the detailed analysis I can see that most of the CPU’s are idle even with a Load Average on e.g. 8. My understanding of load average is the number of work-processes within a certain period (1 min; 5 min etc.) waiting for a CPU to be processed. Furthermore I heard that this load average as a rule of thumb should not be higher than 2.

Answer from Basis-Consultant1:

Load average should be calculated according to the CPU’s so in ST06 it is allowed to have a load average of (12 CPU’s * 2 work processes) 24. Which means that 10 is not much and is probably due to lack of parallelism in the processes.

Answer from Basis-Consultant2

According to the SAP opinion - like a rule of thumb - if the average load is around 1 percent it is OK, if it is 3 percent there could be a serious bottleneck. But there are also more things to consider (CPU utlization per hour, memory consumption etc.). So the whole picture has to be evaluated.

Can anybody help me here.... which one is right?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Keld Pilegaard

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Umesh,

Thanks for your reply... should I understand it like that the "Load Average Values" are independent of the number of CPU's so the rule of thumb is not like 2 for one CPU and below 24 for 12 CPU's, but rather if it is 10 then its high if its 1 its fine regardless how many CPU's the server have.

Best regards

Keld

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check out this PDF "Best Practices for Performance Tuning SAP R3 and Oracle, Part I" in Sdn, It will give u a clear idea about load average

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/5d0db4c9-0e01-0010-b68f-9b1408d5...

Kind Regards

Umesh K

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos