Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Publication to DTP & Template issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear MDM Folks,

I am facing 3 issues with MDM SP03 (latest from SMP):

1) I am in Publication mode of DM and want to publish to DTP (Adobe InDesign).

When I click PUBLISH,there comes a pop up which asks for the layout server name and the paper module name.I gave the IP of the machine where the layout server runs.

I see a quick popup which then disappears which says something like connecting to Layout server.....

At this time I also have my Adobe Indesign open ( which has the plugin installed ) .....I did not see the layout get published into Adobe Indesign.

Am I doing something wrong ?

2) I have a Indesign Template which I need to import.In Publishing mode I imported the template but then I dont know where the imported Indesign template is ?

3) Can I use my imported InDesign template layout in the layout mode ?

Thank you.

J

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

Could I ask what organization you're a part of?

1)If you're a customer that's in production with the Publication manager, you should be using the publication branch of SP3, or SP4 Publisher. Otherwise, you should make sure you have the same versions running of all relevant components (MDM Server, Data Manager, InDesign Plug-in and Layout Server.) Try uninstalling and reinstalling the layout server.

2)When you import an InDesign template, since you may only have one template imported at a time, you don't really need to know its location. The way to use it when publishing, is to check off the Use template option in the publish dialog. The Publication Manager knows to get and use the template that was last imported. Importing a different template, will override the template currently stored.

3)Judging from this last question, it seems like there may be a bit of confusion on your part about what is meant by a template in this version. In SP3, the use of the DTP template, is only meant to serve as a way of getting the master page objects (headers, footers, etc.) on to the page that the data is being published on to (as opposed to publishing to a blank page). It is not a template in the traditional sense where you would designate positioning for some of the items and have that geometry applied to all other families. (This is a new feature of SP4 which I would be happy to demonstrate) So, that being said, SP3 use of DTP templates only applies when you are publishing the page to the DTP, and for that reason, may not be used in the Layout mode where you are not dealing with a specific publication, but rather with the entire family hierarchy.

I hope all this makes sense.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if you're still having trouble publishing to InDesign.

-Neta

Former Member
0 Kudos

> It is not a template in the traditional sense

> where you would designate positioning for some of the

> items and have that geometry applied to all other

> families. (This is a new feature of SP4...

Hi Neta-

Could you elaborate on this comment? We are ramping up on SP3 and are to the point of creating publications in InDesign. Ideally, we'd like to push our layouts directly to InDesign, do <b>ALL</b> of our formating, positioning, styling, etc. Then be able to reuse the InDesign document as the template for publishing other families to, retaining the formatting, styling, and positioning characteristics. What we have found is that this is not possible (as you said) and we have to recreate our documents as publications entirely in MDM publish mode.

Is the type of process I'm describing possible in SP4? Are there limitations to what can be linked/saved as part of the InDesign template?

Thanks

-Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

The process you describe in not currently possible and will not be possible in the future. It is not the goal or direction of MDM Publisher. However, I would be glad to demonstrate Publisher and what you can do with it in terms of formatting, positioning, styling and templating. I believe it may answer all of your requirements already today. Please contact me via email so that we may set up a webex demonstration. Or let me know how I may reach you.

Thanks,

Neta

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response, Neta. I've added my email address to my public profile. Please contact me so I can learn more about MDM Publisher.

-Tim