Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot enable SNC in SAPlogon with alternative IP address in SMLG groups

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I am looking for someone who has overcome the following situation:

We run SAP Enterprise on Unix (640 kernel). The systems have 2 networks - one for internal server communications and one for end-user connections. This requires that in our production logon group (multiple servers) that we specify the end-user IP address as an alternative IP in SMLG (otherwise SAP returns the internal network IP to the client).

However, when I try to enable SNC in SAPlogon to the production logon group, the "enable SNC" flag is grayed out. I have also tried to manually configure the entry in saplogon.ini. This results in a logon balancing module error. All of this seems to be described in OSS note 913356. The note is not very clear, but seems to list a corrected kernel level for version 4.6D. Thinking that this might be true for 640, I updated the kernel to 640 patch 159. This did not resolve the problem.

I should also state that direct saplogon connections to production with SNC do work. The problem appears to be in the logon module.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? Any help would be highly appreciated.

Paul

Basis Admin, Medrad

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Paul,

I would read the note like SNC with multiple IPs and loadbalancing only being available starting with NW2004s (700 kernel).

Regards, Patrick

Message was edited by:

Patrick Hildenbrand

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Well, I read the note as follows:

- fixed as of 7.00 (out of the box)

- patch available for kernel 4.6D (=> release 4.6x)

- no patches available for all other releases (incl. 6.x)

I'd recommend to submit a support request asking to provide a correction also for release 6.x (=> kernel 6.40). Maybe the correction will be provided only "on demand" (=> see SAP note 554288: proactive corrections only for critical errors; other errors will only be fixed in the release where the problem was reported).

Cheers, Wolfgang

0 Kudos

> Hi Paul,

>

> I would read the note like SNC only being available

> starting with NW2004s (700 kernel).

>

> Regards, Patrick

Saying that "SNC is only available starting with NW2004s" could be missinterpreted. Instead, I think it is better to say that "When using load balancing with SNC, for logon to SAP, and using an alternative IP address only works out-of-box with NW2004s". We have many customers using SNC authentication products with load balancing on releases prior to NW2004s, so this patch must be required only because of the alternative IP address being added to the logon group configuration.

Thanks,

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both for your interpretation of the OSS note. After testing the latest kernel patch for 640, I began to interpret the OSS note as Wolfgang has said. I was not aware that SAP provides critical fixes only for versions reporting the error. I have a "high" severity problem open with SAP. Sixteen hours later, I have not heard from SAP. When I do finally hear from them, I will ask if a patch for the problem in 913356 can be provided for kernel 640.

Best regards, Paul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well. My original post commenting about the lack of SAP response seemed to attract attention to my request. I received 2 updates in one day to my ticket. That was 4 days ago. I have all but given up on receiveing a kernel patch to resolve the SAP logon module flaw.

Is there anyone operatng in a dual-network server environment with SNC enabled? I could really use some quality suggestions to bypass the SAP flaw.