cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diff between EDI and XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

In earlier days the data used to be transfered using EDI and XI has taken over the same.

What is the difference between EDI and XI, where both are used to transfer data between two systems?

Regards,

Ashish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Former Member
0 Kudos

But are EDI still extensively used with IDOCS and RFC around these days?

Ashish

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, in many organization, EDI sub systems are used for the Business Process. EDI data will post the Idocs..

For e.g PO, Bank Statments

btw it is depending on the business process used in the given landscape

Regards,

Moorthy

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

EDI is a message standard in the form of EDI documents

XI is a EAI tool, so the main purpose prevails to communicate between systems

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

well in my understanding EDI is an umbrella term concerning protocols and message formats.

Protocols which are associated with EDI are X.25, X.400, OFTP or the "newer" AS1, AS2, AS3.

The message formats of EDI are as mentioned above: ANSI X12, UN/EDIFACT and some subelements like ODETTE.

So XI is an EAI-Tool which can be enlarged with some additional 3rd Adapters to cover B2B-needs still prevailing by todays companys.

br, Jens

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

EDI - it is a message standard in the form of EDI documents mainly UN/EDIFACT & ANSI ASC X12. So these standards are agreed upon by the interacting systems.

But Xi acts as a EAI tool, so the main purpose prevails to communicate between diff. systems supporting diff. standars may it be X12, EDIFACT, Files, JDBC etc.

STALANKI
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I donot think EDI is replaced by XI.The notion is not right.We used EDI as a universal format to pass data back and forth between web applications and various abckend application.

SAP XI and EDI still co-exist and you can use EDI adapter from I-way or seeburger i guess and lot of freeware tools are there.

EDI is integated to the abckend via a middleware tool like TIBCO,SEEBEYOND and now you can do with SAP XI,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sravya,

If i have understood rigt, then EDI is not a tool, but it's a standard format to exchange data between systems like XML. Is it? And if any system is sending data in EDI format it can be conversted into XI understandable format using EDI adapter?

Could you give me an example of the system that still use EDI format to transfer data?

Regards,

Ashish