cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom UI Elements?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm interested in writing my own, custom UI elements. Is there a documented approach for this?

The <b>Web Dynpro UI Element Reference Guide</b> seems to imply that this might be possible. When discussing the various UI element libraries (core, standard, business graphics, etc.), it says:

<i>The grouping makes it easier to develop additional UI elements in the different development groups and the structure provides a better overview of the UI elements. In addition, it is easier to maintain the individual libraries.</i>

If I had to guess, I'd say that you would start by extending IWDViewElement or IWDUIElement (or some derivative class).

However, there are probably other supporting classes, eclipse plug-ins, etc. that are required. Furthermore, there are probably also steps to package and deploy a new library in your development environment and on your server.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on this?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Development of new UI element libraries is not yet available for customers.

In many cases, a Web Dynpro component using the existing UI elements can do the job.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Armin. Is there a approximate timeframe in which this will be possible for customers?

Former Member
0 Kudos

I cannot give you an official answer, but I would say not with NW04.

What kind of new UI elements do you want to build?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have no concrete requirements at this point that would necessitate development of custom UI elements. I'm just trying to envision ways in which I can extend Web Dynpro's "out of the box" functionality.

Eventually, I suspect I may be asked to build a custom UI element. I'd like to be prepared for that eventuality.

Thanks for the info.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jeremy, I agree that there is situations where you would want that. The NW04 webdynpro controls are not very "feature-rich" in my mind, so you will feel a lot like building your own ones.

But also keep in mind that there is a lot more than just extendin some webdynpro classes. There is rendering (javascript, etc.) which needs to be done and there might be other clients than webbrowsers, so building own controls can't be really straightforward. I would love to be able to do it, but I can't imagine a way right now and wonder what a way will look like in later NW versions.

I guess the best way would be that SAP provides more functionality that can be used out of the box This will probably happen sooner or later

THanks

Bruno

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bruno,

I would be very interested in what you consider the most important features missing in the NW 04 UI elements.

Many functionality enhancements have been done in the meantime e.g. for the table UI element.

Writing custom UI elements/libraries is more complex in Web Dynpro than in other frameworks because we have to support different platforms (ABAP, Java) and different client implementations (HTML, Smart client, ...) and on the other side, the UI element programming model has to be client-independent and consistent across platforms.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

<i> would be very interested in what you consider the most important features missing in the NW 04 UI elements.</i>

Armin, it would be quite usefull to set a poll on SDN to get a comunity opinion. Thoughts?

Personally I'm missing pop-up menus (standalone, not bound only to IWDTray)

Next thing I know is that a lot of complains about having no "colspan" in table as well as inability to embedd different editors in same column. I guess, it is enough to just let user embedd composite (TransparentContainer) as cell editor. Or provide something like DataRepeater in Delphi world in addition to regular table.

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bruno, thanks for your input. I suspect you are correct; it's not likely that it would be as simple as just extending some classes. I have no illusions about the complexity of what I'm asking for.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Valery,

polling for opinions is a good idea.

Regarding popup menus: They have been extended (RadioButtons, CheckBoxes, Hierarchy) and will be available on a number of additional UI elements, especially in trees and tables.

Regarding the table: Here too, a number of enhancements have been done like different cell editors in one column and many more...

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Armin,

I'm missing mainly things like context-menus on right-click, accelerator keys (shortcuts) and so on, basically everything that the WebGUI for SAP or the SAP Enterprise Portal offer

Another very small enhamcement that would help us a lot: We are not happy with the webdynpro value selectors (EVS, OVS, ...) and are using our own popups. But we cannot open them from within a field. We always have to put a button behind a field and in tables create a second column with a button to fire up our own value selectors. I would think of another action "onValueHelp" or something like that and if it is bound it would show an icon for that.

Thanks

Bruno

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

But what if I need to replace link-style with button-style UI representation in FileDownload element for example? Are there any advices on NW04s or CE maybe?

udaykumar_kanike
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I am really facing difficulty to enable OVS help functionality to multiple fields. Is it possible to include a inbult class or button avoiding all the coding part and like other UI elements, we could able to directly use this OVS help button directly to provide help functionality to any input field. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

I am sorry to rekindle this very old thread. But, are there any steps taken to embed tables into tree hierarchy?

Using trays are cumbersome and we do not get the same kind of functionality using the tree hierarchies within a table.

One more thing that can be considered is to provide the developer some kind of ways to play with the provided UI Controls. For example, if I want to move the expand, Collape button of the tray from the right to the left or to put a button on the tray header...something like them. I am new to Web Dynpro so I may be asking which is already present...

Your valuable comments would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Sridhar

Former Member
0 Kudos

What do you mean with "embed tables into tree hierarchy"? Hierarchical tables are available. Or do you mean something different?

To the other question: Essentially, you have to use the UI elements as they are designed, and there is not really much flexibility to use them not as designed. But what is the benefit of e.g. moving the toggle button of a Tray from right to left?

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Armin,

Thanks for your reply. I understand that Hierarchical tables are there, but, they do not provide the same user experience as a table in the tree or multiple levels of trays.

It is from the point of Usability in our firm that we have to move the Expand/Collapse button from right to left.