cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performing a backup of MiniWAS

former_member185932
Participant
0 Kudos

Last night I performed a backup of my MiniWAS system. I was using the Microsoft backup tool provided with Windows XP. I selected the MiniWAS directory and the SAPDB directory and backed up to an external HD (total of approx 9Gb).

The backup completed without a problem. However, when I came to apply more SP's to MiniWAS I received a short-dump even before the login screen was displayed. MiniWAS was corrupt.

Any idea why this has happened? I didn't stop the database when performing the backup. Should the database be stopped prior to performing a backup?

I have now re-installed MiniWAS and will begin applying SP's all over again!

Regards,

JB

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have always done a complete Offline backup with everything stopped didn't want to take a chance of corruption.

In theory it shouldn't matter but if the database is still doing things then I guess it could happen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem you got confronted with is related to the Backup Tool you used. In ALL situations if you create a back-up ensure your DB status is set to 'offline' and ensure no more processes are running.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Most home users will have that problem with all backup tools unless you got the bucks to shell out for a powerful network backup tool.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

roland_mallmann
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jonathan,

from a MaxDB and SAP DB standpoint, your method of backing up is not the recommended way to backup your database.

From the database perspective, we'd strongly suggest to use our own backup tools. Using the Database Manager GUI, you can define backup media and then perform data & log backups.

I don't know what happened to your MiniwWAS after the backup though, just thought I'd give you our recommendations concerning your db.

Regards,

Roland

Message was edited by: Roland Mallmann

former_member185932
Participant
0 Kudos

Thank you Craig, Tiest and Roland for your comments regarding my backup problem.

In the future I will ensure that the DB is stopped prior to backup. I will then use the Database Manager to backup the database and Windows Backup utility to backup the MiniWAS directory.

Thanks again,

JB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jonathan, one more addition is on its place here though. Yes backingup you database with the DB Admin tools is the best approach but you also may want to backup the actual, complete MiniWAS directory structure. What I did and was able to recover in successfully was to create a zipfile of the complete directory and stored in a safe place. Hope this helps as well. Kind regards, Tiest