cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OVS question for experts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've implemented OVS but I need to use it as a value help instead of an object selector. Therefore to be perfect OVS should directly print out results since there is no need to do a search before. So is there a way to directly jump to the onQuery hook method? Apparently the OVS output node seems to be initialized after applyInputValues(...) is called. I can't add something to the output node until onQuery(...) is called. Which means you have to click on the "Go" button just to see some static result values. Which is quite annoying for this use case. Has anyone already solved this problem?

Regards,

Robert

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could not solve through OVS but i created new view and provided a small button at the right of the input field (to which OVS is currently bound) on click of the button, pop up a new view with search criterea as input fields and possible values as a table, Call the RFC in onPlugFromCallingView so that when user comes to the view all the possible values are populated, and on select of the row close the new view.

Disregard if you already thought about it

Firasath

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

monalisa_biswal
Contributor
0 Kudos

Go to action tab of ur view and mark all actions of ur view as "Without Validation".

By checking this all automatic validations will be removed and u will be able to enter different text other than the valueset into the field.But u have to write ur own validation method.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Robert,

Unfortunately, OVS control in WD Java designed in such way. You cannot remove "GO" button and auto-populate result.

Valery Silaev

SaM Solutions

http://www.sam-solutions.net

Former Member
0 Kudos

Firasath and Valery,

thank you for your help.

Firasath, I tried your suggestion before but it's more complicated if you have more than one field which uses this value help since you need to bind the value help yourself to the corresponding input field. And I didn't like the screen design with a button beside the input field - even when using the value help image as button image.

Valery, maybe I've ignored some facts you already know. I need an input field with a value help but one should be able to choose a value from the help or enter something in the input field. SVS and EVS are also not able to solve this problem. Is there anything else that might be useful? In fact it looks like a standard use case which is already implemented in the SAP backends.

Regards,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Robert,

In WD ABAP it is possible to replace standard OVS component, but in WD Java -- no way. I played a lot with OVS -- there are numerous enchantments possible (see /people/valery.silaev/blog/2006/07/18/ovs-rfc , /people/valery.silaev/blog/2006/03/10/minus-evs-plus-ovs-value-help-smart-input , /people/valery.silaev/blog/2005/08/15/ovs-reloaded), almost anything but removal of that "GO" button and pre-populated query

By the way, why did you say that EVS is not an option for you? It seems applicable in your case (fixed set of key->value mappings)... Or you must show several columns in value help?

Valery Silaev

SaM Solutions

http://www.sam-solutions.net

Former Member
0 Kudos

Valery,

the problem with EVS is that the entries in the input field are validated against the value set you entered as value help. As far as I know it. I didn't find a way to avoid this validation. I also tried it again with a clear new view and only one input field and one button. The corresponding action is set to "Without Validation". But nevertheless when clicking the button the input field is validated against the help value set. And that's not applicable in this case since there must be a way to enter values in the input field different from the help values in the value set. Did I forget something?

Regards,

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Robert,

Then I understand you. Among links to my blog posts (see previous message) there is a link to article where I explain how to replace EVS with OVS due to the very same reason. Unfortunately, with "GO" button

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well... thank you for your help. Maybe I'll give it a try and do it all on my own. But that will be expensive.