cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Table in edit Mode with infinite lines ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are designing an application, where as one of the requirement is to have a table with infinite open lines for user input.

By Default table should be in EDIT mode and user should be able to enter values without the need to click on a line to insert a new row every time he/she wants to input a value.

How can we acheive this requirement in WDA. In classical dynpro it is very easy to do this.. but I am struggling to find a way around for this..

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Rohit Chowdhary

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

I have same kind of requirment. Could you please help if you have any solution with you.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

San

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In case you have solved this problem . Could you pls share you experience on this.

with Best Regards

Sushil TANEJA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

unless you have very highly speced workstations,

the render time in IE for very large tables will make it very painful to use.

Better to use reasonable size paging option in table and once every 50 lines ,

press a next page button.

The nett result for data entry is most likely better performance.

My experience with tables that are over 1000 lines,

showed performance and even stability issues for IE.

regards

Phil.

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rohit,

>My experience with tables that are over 1000 lines, showed performance and

>even stability issues for IE.

I can only emphasize what Phil said. Especially, in your case with an editable table, displaying more than 50 rows at a time (depending on the number of columns) can cause a bad user experience, because the browser needs to handle all the html and javascript we throw at it.

Imho there are two solutions:

(a) Try to use the ALV

(b) In case you would like to use the table ui element, you could add enough empty context elements to the context node where the table binds to, so that a user has always plenty of empty rows available. A toolbar button could provide the user with more initial lines.

Best regards,

Thomas

roberto_tagliento
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Table with infinite lines cannot exist everywhere.

Use a HEADER line where user input the values, and after must click ADD.

Or use a table like a BLOCK of insert, an ADD must exist.

All PC, all computer science work on a FINITE set of information, could have very big big numebrs, but always finite.

Message was edited by:

Roberto Tagliento

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the answers. As it is possible to have a table control with infinite lies in Classical dynpro.. So I believe it should be possible in WDA as well. Assuming a situation where 150 lines are to be entered in a document, it will really harsh on the user to click on insert 150 times or even 10 times, assuming a block of 15 lines in the table.

This is one of the key requirements from the user community.

Regards

Rohit

roberto_tagliento
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ok listen, cannot have what you wish with WDA.

Remember that the application are showed to the user via browser and most important thing SAP decided to don´t give to programmes javascript control.

For doing something like you wish, need check some user action, like change focus, tab click and so on.....

With normal BSP and much (or bit, don´t know) javascript control can have what you wish, but as you know BSP aren´t WDA.

My suggestion is realize a block of inserts.

Maybe in future SAP will realase, WDA with new feature where can do this and more.

roberto_tagliento
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Or realize an Excel UPLOAD.

Before the user insert DATA into Excel sheet with infinite row like you say and after do only one ADD.