cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migration Unix to solaris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

We are moving Unix to solaris OS change level.

1-Can you guys tell me what changes i have to do appropriately in SAP custom programs and addon programs.

2-I want to analyse in R3,HR,BW.

Can somebody tell me, what i have to search in HR and BW system.

Suggestion please

regards

Ambi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Ambi,

As you are planning to move from one Unix platform to another, you will have to do no changes at all on the application level. This is what we call DB/OS abstraction, the SAP NetWeaver based application behave the same way regardless of the platform they are running upon.

The SAP migration tools will help you to install SAP binaries and the database on your new server and then to transport your system contents to the new system. After the migration has successfully finished, the system will behave in exactly the same way. This is true for R/3, HR, BW, also for both Abap and J2EE based applications.

The only difference users may experience is that sorting in matchcodes may be different, as we rely on the locales provided by the operating system when displaying sorted results. The entries are still there but they may show up on a different place in the list. Even this minor handling difference will go away in Unicode systems.

I hope this helps

Manfred

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Manfred,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please help me explaining how Sorting in matchcodes may be different with respect to Different OS.

How can i find those matchcodes(or difference available) in ABAP custom programs.

suggestion please.

Thanks.

Ambi

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Ambi

Matchcode is the old fashioned SAP term for value help provided in the input fields of most of the interaction screens. When trying to enter a value into a input field, you will in many cases observe that a symbol appears on the right-hand side of the field when you activate it. Clicking on the symbol, the matchcode window will pop up and allow you to specify your search criteria. As far as I remember (my training on Screen Painter dates some years back) match code is defined in Screenpainter, you can also specify ABAP modules to be performed.

Important for you to know is that the return values are the same, only the order in which they are displayed may be different. In particular values containing ASCII characters above 128 may be sorted differently by different OS's. Good example would be German Umlauts like Ä (for Ae), Ö (Oe), Ü (Ue). Lets assume AIX decides to sort in Ä before A, HP-UX to sort A before Ä.

Imagine a user is connected to a single SAP system in a first session to an application server running on AIX, and has a second session open on an HP-UX app server. Executing exactly the same search on both app servers may result in the same list displayed, but some entries may show up in different places in the list. On the AIX server the list would start with the Ä entries, on HP-UX with the A entries. This is a very drastic example. Important to know for you is that the SAP transaction logic will work in exactly the same way on both servers regardless of sorting.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manfred,

You reply was so impressive to me. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Can you confirm one thing with confidence.

1-Matchcode Used in ABAP addon programs will have sort problem due to changes in Unix and Solaris.

2-If so could you please give me idea of how to solve this problem.

I will reward your score once i get reply for this.

Thanks.

Baashaa

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi Ambi

If we change the wording a bit, I can confirm the following:

1) In Non-Unicode Systems, sorting may be different depending on OS of app server and locale used (depends on logon language). This is just a handling issue.

2) Handling problems can be avoided by instructing users to search the matchcode list for expected values in different regions, the value they search for will be in the list, might just show up in a different place (if nobody has deleted in the meantime). A notification email with this instruction shortly before switching to another OS will put you on the safe side.

I hope this helps

Manfred

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi Manfred,

I understand that Matchcode values sorting order may change depends on Setting of Locales used in OS of Application server.

To be more precious, I would like to tell you that we are using Solaris of application server and non unicode system. We fear that above match code problem may occur in our Addon programs if we did not set the locales for OS(Solaris) properly. we are using JA as Japanese logon language. if you know any note particularly mentioning about applying locales for this case please refer me.

Thanks.

Chandra

manfred_stein
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Ambi

Sorry, this is completely out of my area of expertise. Before I give out any wrong advice, I rather recommend that you open a customer message or try in another forum.

Best regards

Manfred

Former Member
0 Kudos

manfred,

Thanks for your efforts...

Baasha

Answers (0)