cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport of Customizations from ECC 5.0 to ECC 6.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have some customizations done in ECC 5.0, which we now want to implement in ECC 6.0 (Freshly Installed). Can we transport these customizations directly to ECC 6.0 (after checking the release notes to see if any functionality has changed between the versions, which would effect the customizations).

If not, is there some other method which you would suggest.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP typically does not support transports between different releases for consistency reasons. SAP will usually explicitly document where it is possible (usually in a SAP note). I personally have not seen one for mySAP ERP 2004 and 2005.

If you do transport between releases SAP can't validate that the transport was successful (i.e. all table entries and data dictionary entries are consistent logically and from a business configuration perspective).

I think you have three options:

1. copy your mySAP ERP 2004 system to the "new install" server and upgrade it to mySAP ERP 2005.

2. Install a new mySAP 2004 system, do initial configuration, import your transports, and then upgrade it.

3. Install a new mySAP ERP 2005 and manually recreate the configurations.

All have pros and cons. I would usually recommend #3 as your configurators will have documented their configurations in detail so it should not be too difficult to re-implement them (right?)

I hope this helps,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree, I think the safest bet is to take the avenue Michael suggested as #3. May be slightly more time consuming from a development perspective, but much safer. Because certain customizations won't work properly in a new release, as the system internals have changed, particularly on the abap stack. Also, certain customizations may not be needed in a new release

Message was edited by:

Harrison Holland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank you to all for replying. Yes, the third option (from Michael's suggestions) seems to be the best one, however, we were looking for other alternatives as we have a very short time window to transfer the customizations as well as test them thoroughly.

I was just going through some notes, when I fell upon note # 454321. This note states that transports from Basis Release 6.X to 7.X do not have any technical or Logical problems.

Now, I understand that there might still be some complications, as some functionalities might be different or the data dictionary structure might be different etc. But since, at this stage, both the servers (ECC 5.0 and ECC 6.0) are demo servers, do you think we should go ahead and try out the transport option? And if it doesnt work then we would go with the manual configuration option.

Regards,

Angad

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Angad,

Please be careful when reading these notes and remember there is a big difference between SAP_Basis and the mySAP ERP application. What they are saying is that an <b>technical objects</b> can be transported correctly and it should be logically and technically correct when imported.

This does not mean that ERP customizing can be transported - a specific statement from the ERP application development team would be needed in a SAP Note or document. If you can't find one, maybe you could open an customer message.

Cheers,

Mike.

Answers (0)