cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC target sys

0 Kudos

Hi WD gurus,

Does anybody know how we specify an RFC target sys?

since it's not an import or export parameter neither

a table, How we reference this after importing the model through RFC adaptive model?

many thanks for your time and patience.

Kentaro

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Raju and Pran,

many thanks for your helpful insights.

My first attempt in solving this problem was using a wrapper RFM that has a parameter that

receives what would be passed in SE37 as the RFC target sys, but this solution worked out partially,

the DLL in the client machine (specified in the RFC target sys) acknowledges

that it should start up the advertisement editor (ad maker),

and the original bapi (inside the wrapper bapi) ceases working

(it sort of work asynchronously).

Actually what happens when you execute the original bapi using se37 is that,

the client machine starts up the ad maker, and when user closes it, it generates

the ad, and returns a ad number back to the bapi. The bapi in this case works synchronously,

waiting for the ad number.

I'm actually developing a simple app, using jco, to see if I can call directly the

original bapi, passing the rfc target sys as a property or an attribute of the connection.

Unfortunately, couldn't find any sample using a target sys that isn't an usual

logical system.

regards,

Kentaro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kentaro ,

Try using the original BAPI and pass the parameters from Web Dynpro. Somewhere I read that we can increase the session time of Web Dynpro application. In such case, the WD application can wait to get the results from BAPI.

Other forum members like Armin can through some light on how to increase this settings and possibility.

Regards,

Raju

Former Member
0 Kudos

The application's expiration time can be controlled via the predefined application property "sap.expirationTime". This can be set in the NWDS in the tab "application properties".

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kentaro

Since you face the problem even if you execute from SE37, I suggest you look into how the internal BAPI is called , maybe you are not passing the right data from outer to inner which will probably cause your remote program to respond but not necessarily with the right return results or maybe also causing some abort which results in the call being terminated.(This might be giving you the asynchronous effect)

Would like to know how you solved it ,when you will have solved it.

Regards

Pran

0 Kudos

Hi Raju,

many thanks for your response.

May I elaborate a little more about my real problem:

I am working on a WD front end for a transaction for the media market.

This particular transaction is called, passing a string to the RFC Target Sys

(if you go to transaction SE37, enter a bapi/rfc and execute it, you'll see

that I can either specify a logical system or an application (this is the case).

Actually this string is used to identify a machine in the intranet where an

client app. will be started.

Or when I write an ABAP code it would look like this

CALL FUNCTION SAP_AD DESTINATION 'PC2020.SAPCLNT' <---- see this is

a little different from WSD (an usual R/3 logical system)

If you go to the content admin and try to create a new JCO destination, you'll see

that I will have to opt between creating a modeldata destination or a metadata

destination.

let's say for example "PC2020.SAPCLNT" (I created as a modeldata destination), if

you try to create the metadata destination, using the same name, you'll get

Please choose another name for the new JCo destination. The defined name

'PC2020.SAPCLNT' is used in the SLD.

So, I can't create a destination when the target sys is an application.

Now hopefully, has anyone went through this situation?

thanks,

Kentaro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi kentaro

If I have understood you correctly, you are trying to create an RFC destination to a standalone application which is not an SAP system. As far as I know I dont think this destination can talk to anything else other than Remote Function Modules in SAP. What you could inturn do is

1) call a Function Module is SAP which inturn will call your client application or

2)call the application directly via HTTP, RMI etc

Regards

Pran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kentaro,

From my understanding, you are calling a BAPI which in turn talks to an external system. Are you planning to get the output of the external application within WD app? Is the external application returns the output to BAPI?

I never worked in such a scenario, but I assume there are the following possibilities.

1) Either you are talking to an R/3 system through BAPI or directly to the application.

2) If you are talking through a BAPI, then you may want to write a wrapper RFC to get the required results from the external application and passing the output to WD application.

3) You may want to write a web service to talk to the external application and get the required results.

4) Also, if you know what information is passed through BAPI to external application, is it possible to get those output parameters to WD application by wrapping the BAPI and WD application directly calls the application .

I assume in your case, last point may work as you can get the string(ouput) from BAPI into a WD app and then you want to write some methods or calling a web service you will fire the actions to call the external application and get the results.

Regarding model data and meta data destinations, use prefixes to distinguish both differently so you that you would not get the errors as all JCo destinations needs to be unique

Regards,

Raju

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The target systems are maintained through JCo.

1) Go to http://<server>:50000/index.html and click on Web Dynpro

2) From there click on content administrator.

3) From local -> click on the deployed applicaion . On right side you will see Jco connections and click on Create and maintain the parameters including which client you want to talk to.

There is a document which explains how to set SLD and maintain JCO. Have a search on this forum / SAP help.

If you could not get it , let us know.

Regards,

Raju