Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Server for Preview SAP WAS ABAP and Java

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I wish to purchase a new PC or server to specifically house my ABAP and Java preview installations rather than have them running on an old PC and laptop.

Anyone out there got some recommended configurations? Max spend will be £1500.

Cheers

Ian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member185932
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ian,

I have also been contemplating this recently following the problems I've had installing the ABAP WAS on my everyday PC. I really want to reformat the my PC now but can't face the hassle involved in re-installing everything!

From what I understand the ABAP and Java WAS are not particularly processor hungry (unless performing complex tasks) and I think memory would be the key to getting decent performance. Your budget should easily allow you to buy one of the new Pentium Core 2 Duo processors. Put this together with a decent motherboard and a couple of SATA hard drives (perhaps in a RAID 0 array, or a RAID 1 array for more resilience) and then take a decision on the memory. Minimum required is 2Gb realistically - if you can afford 4Gb then you should go for it.

Are you planning on leaving this PC/Server running 24/7 or will you just boot it as and when required?

Let me know what you decide.

Cheers,

JB

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Cheers JB.

Unsure as to whether to leave it running 24/7 as yet.

Yes, agree with min2 GB and twin HD's - probably only 160GB. Even that probably overkill but GB are cheap nowadays. I have no idea about motherboard though - not really a hardware man. Any thoughts on this?

Were you going to buy one or build one? I was thinking of a Dell but then also thinking of building from scratch.

Cheers

Ian

former_member185932
Participant
0 Kudos

Ian,

Personally I wouldn't be happy running a server 24/7 at home but would want to just switch it on and the server start so would be looking to have some sort of script to run the relevant WAS instances automatically on startup.

160Gb hard drives would be ample. Could consider increasing the storage and then the system could double up as a backup device as well as a SAP server.

I've built systems in the past and that's the approach I'd take for this too. I don't mind buying pre-built systems but I

detest

all the rubbish software they bundle with them. If you build it yourself you can install just Windows and it'll run like a dream.

This bundle looks interesting:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BU-039-OK

The motherboard takes four memory modules so the 2Gb would consume two of these allowing for upgrades in the future if deemed necessary. Add in a couple of HD's, a DVD-RW, a cheap gfx card and a case and you'd easily get change from £800. Could spend a bit more to get more silent components too.

Now I've had a look around and priced them up I'm even more tempted!!!

Cheers,

JB

IanStubbings
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Cheers JB

Much appreciate your help. I'll let you know what system I go for.

Ian

Answers (0)