cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UTF16 on the application server

Former Member
0 Kudos

In he Teched presentations it was stated that application servers are UTF16 based while the database can be UTF8.

Can anyone tell me what the strategy of being UTF16 on the application servers. It seems crazy that we can avoid DB problems by keeping it UTF8 but all our app servers have to be ramped up to handle UTF16

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for that, We were taking that approach anyway but back to the original question, What is the reasoning behind using UTF16 on app servers even though the DB may be UTF8.

regards

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

Please see the document <a href="https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700005159902003E">Why SAP implements UTF-16</a> available on the Service Marketplace http://service.sap.com/unicode@sap -> Unicode Technical FAQ.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Matt

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks, that is excellent news,

just to confirm, the increase values stated on the SPC200 - Hardware requirements slide for +30% CPU and +50% RAM are not valid for the application servers even though point 2 on the slide indicates they are?

This is very important for our customer sizing going forward which is why I am a little wary.

regards

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

Now I see the slide you are referring to. Yes, this slide is accurate (+30% CPU and +50% RAM). These are the average measured figures, and are different for different transactions. I apologize, I was commenting on increased DB storage requirements, which is usually what most people question.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Graham,

This is for data communication on the application servers, not for processing at the database level. This kind of communication is fast and does not require extensive extra resources like database processing does.

Best Regards,

Matt