cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deploying a resource adapter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

i have developed and successfully deployed a resource adapter. But as i went on developing i encountered some strange behaviour.

In the DeployTool that i used to deploy the adapter i have build the archives again and deployed the EAR to the WAS 640 successfully. But if i ran my Test coding against it, my changes have not be set online.

So i deleted the DeployProject and created a new one, that i deployed to the was640 and now my changes are online.

I have searched for a refresh button to load updated resources, but i could not find any. Did i miss anything in the DeployTool? Besides the DeployTool also comes up with some error messages like IOException, FileNotFound from a generated file *.mf!

Is it possible to deploy a resource adapter from within the NetWeaver Studio? Or anything else, that is more stabil?

Best regards

Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

You can use the NW Developer Studio to create a Java project for the resource adapter and a J2EE application project for the EAR containing the resource adapter. Then you can build and deploy the EAR file right from the Dev Studio.

Or, if you already have the EAR you can deploy it via the J2EE telnet console (using the "deploy" command from the "deploy" group), the Visual Administartor tool (using the Deploy service controls), or via the SDM GUI.

Hope this will be of help to you,

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

thanks for your quick answer! I am very interested in your first solution. I have already tried to get my resource adapter (this is a java project) into a Enterprise application project, but i can´t. Maybe i am missing something. Could you please describe in more detail the steps i have to make.

Thanks in advance,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I had the the same problem... I tried to use NW Developer Studio. You can copy your rar-file in an application project (in the package explorer view). Then you have to check the deployment descriptors as the are not generated correctly. THE PROBLEM, as I figured out, is that you can't build a deployable archive in NW Dev Studio if you don't have a web or ejb module included.

SO, I choosed to use the Deploy Tool, although it's contains a lot of bugs.

When the application has been deployed and started successfully, your connector should be up to date, but it's better to have a look at it to check if it has really startet successfully (The Deploy Tools <u>sometimes</u> shows a successful start even if it fails ... ). You can do this in Admin Tool -> Services -> Connector Container. There your Adapter should appear with a check mark.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nadine,

my problem with the deployTool is, that my code changes are not active after deployment. If i create a new deploy project in the deployTool (only to activate my code changes) and deploy this, everything works fine.

I would like to add the resource adapter to an EAR. I also have an EJB i could deploy with this. I build my rar file and copied it to the EAR Project and modified application.xml like this

<module>

<connector>raresourceDB.rar</connector>

</module>

After building the EAR archive, i can ot find the rar file in this archive. I think i have to use the alternative Deployment Descriptor option? What do i have to put in this xml? Just the connector specific entries like in the DeployTool?

Hints highly appreciated. Thanks!

Christian

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

Currently there's no straight-forward way to add a resource adapter (RAR) into an application project (EAR) in the NW Developer Studio. But you can build the JAR of the connector Java project, build the EAR for the application project (it can contain also the JAR of your EJB module project), then rename the connector JAR to RAR and add it manually to the EAR file, and modify the application.xml as you already did

<module>
<connector>raresourceDB.rar</connector>
</module>

(You don't have to use the alternative DD option.)

Then you can use any of the tools mentioned above to deploy the EAR. The simplest (and most reliable) way is via the J2EE telnet console, but you can also use the Admin Tool or the SDM GUI.

Hope it helps,

Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nadine, Vladimir,

thanks for your help! I think i can go on myself right now!

Thanks again

Christian

Answers (0)