cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build a new SAP system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I am trying to find the steps to build a QA system from PRD online backup.

There was no prvious QA system and now i want to bring up a QA system. The direction that i need help with is around SAP build steps before and after DB restore using online backup. Any help to guide towards building this will be appreciated with points.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have to restore the databse with the PROD SID and it will end with warnings as the new QA SID will be different. Then script you will run to correct this is the one where you create the new controlfiles.

once you create the controlfiles with the right SID, you have to Restore the database and your database will be restored.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi learner,

You have to change all profiles wherever necessary, change the names and the ports accordingly.

Copying entire /usr/sap/SID directory will not do any harm, just change the names wherever necessary.

You dont need to copy contents for origlog and mirrorlog dir's. Just have the dir's ready.

You have to delete the cntrl files and create new ones because you have to restore the database first.

Regards

Suhail

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. Since i am doing this steps in a new machine with similar OS environment to Source system, can you guide me with creation of the SID( new one). I have never done any SAP installation before.

Also is it mandatory to copy the /oracle/SID/reorg directory contents or just the file structure creation is good enough?

Thanks in Advance,

Learner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Structure creation is good . Are you going to restore from a cold backup ?

thanks

Prince Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

I will be restoring from online backup. Before that I need to create the SID in that system. Please help

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are using online backup then you have to apply all the redologs to make it consistant. You dont have offline backups then it would be easy ( my opinion ). What you mean by SID in that system???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prince,

Here is the background on the new system.

Currently the landscape is a two system landscape i.e, Dev -> Prd

My task is to build the QA system from PRD and bring it in to the landscape.

The oracle file systems i copied have <SID> of Production System.

For eg the dev has /oracle/YD1 and the Prd has /oracle/YP1 and i want to create the SID in QA system as /oracle/YQ1.

After i copied the file system , i need to create the SID so i can make file system as /oracle/YQ1 and OS id's like YQ1adm and ORAYQ1 .

Please correct me if I am wrong or missing anything.

Thanks in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here the mount name should be /oracle/<new SID >, if you have SID as your source system reneame it as target SID. under this create

102_64 (oracle version)

mirrlogA

mirrlogB

oraarch/saparch

origlogA

origlogB

sapbackup

sapcheck

sapreorg

saptrace

sapdata?

preferab ly with same size as of your source system or more.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Prince,

I really appreciate your effort and time to help me.

I am sorry that my question is not clear.

I am aware that I have to rename the directories as /oracle/<Target SID> and substitute the <Source SID> with <Target SID> in all relevant places.

Is there any explicit scrpits that i need to run to create the <SID>? That is my question.

can i just substitute <Target SID> in place of <SourceSID> ? thats it?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Whats your OS and DB ?

thanks

Prince

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello ,

The OS is HP UX 11i and DB is Oracle 8.1.7.4 and SAP is 4.6B.

Any help will really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Check this link

Thanks

Prince Jose

Message was edited by:

Prince Jose

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prince,

Thanks for the guidelines. I will try and follow these guidelines.

Basis Learner

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Prince,

I have some questions regarding the system build. The thread link is very useful and i have posted the following in the link as well.

Basically I have some specific questions as follows. Can you please guide me?

1.Can you please specify if there is any other files needs to be changed for the SID and Hostname apart from .sapenv, .dbenv ,.login,.cshrc, .profile, start profile,instance profile, startsap script and stopsap script. Default profile needs to changed as well, am i right?

2.Can i copy the /home/<SID>adm from Target or only specific files needs to be copied?

3.When copying /oracle/ directory contents, does the contents needs to be copied for /oracle/<SID>/origlogA, /oracle/<SID>/origlogB, /oracle/<SID>/MirrorlogA and

/oracle/<SID>/MirrorlogB?

I belive during DB restore these contents will be deleted as a step so just the creation of these will be fine. Please let me know

So this leaves the following oracle directories to be copied with its contents?

/oracle/<SID>

/oracle/<SID>/reorg

/oracle/<SID>/oracleversion

does the file structure creation be enough for /oracle/<SID>saparch since cntrl file and archive log files will copied from Source system?

Please let me know