Did you mean: 

Visual Composer / BI Interoperability Issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Our System Landscape

Visual Composer: V6.00.0020

Portal: NW04

BW Server: 3.0B Support Pack 24

We are trying to use our BW server as a datasource within Visual Composer and are running into a number of problems. Hopefully someone here has gotten this to work

and can offer some insight. We have configured the BW server as both an XMLA datasource and as a BW datasource. Neither configuration is really working well.

Following are the problems that we are encountering with either datasource type...

BW Datasource:

The Queries show up as expected in the 'Select Data Services' pane. However, when one of the queries is dragged into the IView we get the following 2 messages and the resulting datasource is non-functional.

Warning -34002: Can not retrieve filters to build the BW Query input port.'undefined' is null or not an object

Warning -34001: Can not create the BW Web Service port. Cannot execute query.

XMLA Datasource:

I've not had much luck using the BI Query Wizard. It just does not seem very flexible. I need to view several measures by several dimensions in the table form and need to be able to pass additional dimensions on input and output ports. I have been able to go into the MDX editor and create some simple datasets, but I cannot figure out how to define input/output ports in the editor. Also it seems like many queries just don't work at all through this interface. What is the level of support for XMLA (this feels like a V 1.0 product)? should I even try to configure ODBO, or will the results be similar?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brad,

The BI Kit of Visual Composer is installed by default with the Visual Composer Storyboard. However, to enable this functionality, you must install this stack’s optional UDI component on the J2EE engine of the portal:

1. To locate the necessary .sca files, go to SAP Service Marketplace at <b>service.sap.com/sp-stacks</b>, scroll to and select <b>SAP NetWeaver’04</b>, scroll to the <b>BW UDI</b> section. Open the download page of <b>BI UDI 350.</b>

2. Download the BIMMR05.sca and BIUDI05.sca files.

3. Access the Software Deployment Manager (SDM) to deploy the SCA files.

4. Deploy <b>BIMMR05.sca</b> and then deploy <b>BIUDI05.sca.</b>

5. Restart the J2EE engine of the Portal.

Regards,

Adi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brad,

Another comment regarding the BIMMR and BIUDI components:

BI MMR and BI UDI are part of the NW Support Package Stacks, so for

Portal SP7 use BIMMR/BIUDI 05 (exceptional)

Portal SP9 use BIMMR/BIUDI 09

Portal SP10 use BIMMR/BIUDI 10

Regards,

Adi

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have already installed the files that you reference. We are on stack 09. Any other ideas of what might be causing the problems that we are experiencing? Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brad,

The problem you are facing is caused by the BW system version you are using.

The prerequisite for using the BW is BW 3.5 SP3.

The prerequisite for using the XMLA is BW 3.1C.

(The details are also available in the Visual Composer installation guide).

Regards,

Adi