cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM ----> Does it reduce Redundancy ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear MDM Gurus,

I have this requirement wherein .....based on a value in a main table record I need to pull data from a subtable.

Here is an example of the requirement :

Main Table has say 3 fields :

PLANTNR

Country

I have a Subtable for PLANT with the following fields :

PLANTNR

PLANT Description

PLANT Size

PLant Speciality

This subtable has the values say :

PLANTNR DESC SIZE SPECIALITY

PLANT001 PLANT IS 001 5000 SQ FEET CLOSE TO PORT

Now if a main table record has a PLANTNR = PLANT001

it should pull all the PLANT related data from the Subtable along side the main table record.

So my Mainrecord should look something like

PLANTNR LOC CTY PLANT DESC PLANT SIZE PLANT SPECIALITY

PLANT001 001 US PLANT IS 001 5000 SQFT CLOSE TO PORT

Now if the 103rd main table record has a PLANTNR value as PLANT001 it should bring the same info as above.

How do I accomplish this.

Will building a relationship help.If so how to build a relationship.

The idea is to maintain the Plant Data ( Size etc) in only one table and not for every main table record.

Appreciate any inputs.

Thanks.

Hari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

The requirement you describe is fulfilled using a Qualified Table.

This qualified table is then "linked" to the main table by inserting a Qualified Lookup field in the main table that points to the Qualified Table.

Please have a look at the business content that SAP delivers with MDM.

There is a repository for the Material master data object, in the form of an .a2a file, that has the exact structure you are trying to build.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Richard,

In the case of a qualified LKP table we will have to associate it every time with the main table record.

The idea is to maintain the PLANT data in one place and not to keep associating at every record level.

Kindly let me know

Thanks.

Hari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hari,

If the purpose of the table is to store plant data only, then use a flat table and have a Flat Lookup field in the main table.

This way, plants can be referenced by many main table records.

It won't "pull" the plant data into the main table, but at least the main table record will be associated to a record of the plant table.

Now if you are building your own custom UI, you can make it look as if the plant data is part of the main table record because you have full control over the diplay of the data, unlike in the Data Manager.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Richard !

Answers (0)