cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jprobe 5.2.1 and j2ee engine 6.40 - how to get them to work together

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello all,

i am running netweaver 04, j2ee engine 640 sp10 and trying to tune our web application. no sap enterprise portal. i've read all notes and sdn postings i can find on profiling tools etc. can't seem to get either introscope or jprobe to work with 640. didn't even try optimizeit due to adverse comments from others on sdn.

yes, there is an instruction for jprobe, https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sapportals.km.docs/documents/a1-8-4/how to start jprobe with web as java. but it is rather old, dated jan. 2004 and not clear which version of jprobe it was referring to.

anyhow, i just downloaded jprobe 5.2.1 from quest website. following the instructions in the above doc got me nowhere. for example, the instruction said to choose "standalone application" when creating the .jpl file but then also said to leave "main class" field blank. the latter is no longer possible with jprobe 521 since the "main class" field is required now.

i also tried choosing "application server" instead of "standalone application". but then it requires some sort of integration with the app server before the profiler session can start. of course, sap j2ee engine is NOT one of the integrated app servers.

so what shall i do at this point? i indeed have a serious performance degradation when running our app on net weaver. the response times for single user actions are about 5 to 10 times slower than running on weblogic, with the same hardware configuration. multi-user situations are even worse. without some profiling, i have no idea where the problem is and how to improve it. i am sure some netweaver parameters can be and should be adjusted but which ones...

any suggestions are appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

detlev_beutner
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Wentao,

as I realized some months ago (and it still holds), at least Quest claims to support WAS 6.40, see http://www.quest.com/jprobe/release_information.asp#appserver

So if you have payed for JProbe, it should be Quest's task to get it running. If not, it should be Quest's task too, for people willing to pay

Anyhow, about one year ago I started to get Quest and SAP together, and it seemed with some success. But as you mentioned, with the time the support get worse again... Would be great if you have succes to report it in here...

Beneath, the official SAP strategy is again "we know it better". The official strategy is called "Sherlok", doc and download say it's for 6.20+. It's better than nothing...

Download from ftp://ftp.sap.com/pub/sdn/devkits/admintools/sherlok.zip

Docu: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/documents/a1-8-4/how to analyze performance problems.pdf

and: https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/documents/a1-8-4/sherlok 1.4 java application monitor reference guide.pdf

A pity for you - UI is based on portal platform.

Hope it helps nevertheless

Detlev

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you Detlev for the information and effort to get quest to work with sap. i am talking with quest support now, trying to get jprobe 5.2.3 to run with j2ee engine 6.40. i will report back when i have some luck or give up, whichever comes first.

as to sherlok, it has its own problems. i notice in the ep forum people are also asking about its peculiarity. i am about to create a new thread in this forum.

just to summarize, in case sap people will take note, i've tried the following tools without success: optimizeit, jprobe, introscope, yourkit and sherlok. so the short-term conclusion i arrived is that if you are deploying non-sap delivered j2ee applications (aka, non enterprise portal) on j2ee engine, there really is NO tool for profiling and performance tuning. good luck to ever achieve the same performance as under weblogic.

can't believe we are the first few to run into this. or perhaps we should never even consider running non sap apps on sap app server.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

some remarks on sherlok:

#1 the UI is available as servlet and therefore independant of portal/j2ee

#2 it has an integration to LoadRunner, so that it gives a good basis for performance analysis.

#3 there is definitively no other profiler on the market, which is able to profile a portal application with 300 million function calls, 10 million objects and 1Gyte of data in a suitable time frame.

Conclusion is:

sherlok is designed for heavy load applications and therefore has as restricted UI. But it implements very sophisticated algorithms to find performance and memory issues.

Albert

Answers (0)