cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MES

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

Can anybody tell me whats an Manufacturing Execution System?

Thanks & Regards

sireesha.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member4529
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sireesha,

Manufacturing Execution System or MES is a system used in plant shop-floor to enable planning, controlling and reporting of the manufacturing processes.

The concept of Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) was established by AMR Research Inc. (www.amrresearch.com) in 1992 as the execution layer of manufacturing applications, which exists between the enterprise and control system to provide this visibility and control functionality. MESA International (www.mesa.org) later gave a more specific definition in 1997, which stated, “Manufacturing Execution Systems deliver information that enables the optimization of production activities from order launch to finished goods.”

Manufactruing Industry standards like ISA95 also refers MES as manufacturing operation management which sits between the Business planning & Logistics layer and control system layer. But there is no clear and distinct boundary between the Enterprise system and MES functionality and sometimes they overlap.

There are many vendors like Wonderware, Siemens, Apriso to name a few, who have developed different flavours of the MES product.

Thanks & Regards,

Dipankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Let us not forget that SAP has many of the MES functions defined by MESA already available within mySAP ERP!

MES has as many meanings as there are industries/vendors - there is no specific definition that everyone or anyone can agree on!

In some cases, these functions are provided by ERP, some cases by automation vendors, and in some cases by specialty software vendors. You'll often find that the same function (e.g. track and trace, or quality data collection) is done by multiple systems within the same plant, and almost always multiple systems within a company.

Bottom line is that an analysis of "what does what" can only be performed on a customer-by-customer basis.

- Rick Bullotta

VP, ASM Manufacturing

SAP Labs, LLC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rick

As you said that SAP also have its own MES functions that means they must have some standard B2MML.

I want to take plant data form MES in B2MML format to generate some KPI's.

So how can i connect MES to my XMII BLS through some kind of XML.

Thanks in advance

Ramshanker Upadhyay

former_member4529
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

You can send and receive B2MML messages to and from SAP ERP using the ISA95 business package and the corresponding XI SWCV. You need install the following XI SWCV :

XI CONTENT ANSI/ISA ERP EXMPL

XI CONTENT ANSI/ISA EXMPL

By this you can directly send ProductionPerformance(for process order only) and MaintenanceRequest B2MML messages to SAP ERP (ECC 5.0/ECC 6.0) or SAP R/3 (4.6C/4.7) and can receive ProductionSchedule, MaintenanceWorkOrder and MaintainenaceResponse B2MML messages from ERP via XI.

If you want to connect xMII with shop-floor systems using XML you can create a BLS transaction in xMII which has an input parameter of type XML. You can use the Reference Document to assign the B2MML message structure to the input parameter. Develop the logic to process the B2MML message inside your BLS transaction. Then you can call the BLS transaction as a http service by the following URL:

http://<server>/Lighthammer/Runner?Transaction=<transaction name>&XacuteLoginName=<user>&XacuteLoginpassword=<password>&<input param name>=<input param value>

Also you can call the BLS transaction as a web service by the following way:

The URL http://<server>:<port>/Lighthammer/WSDLGen/<transactionname>; generates the WSDL for the web-service(BLS transaction as specified in the url as <transactionname>).

You can run the transaction as a web-service by the following URL:

http://<server>:<port>/Lighthammer/SOAPRunner/<transactionname>;

For authentication you can use the xMII user name and password which has reader/writer roles assigned to that transaction. Assign the login user and password to the input params itself as xMII doesn't support basic authentication.

While calling the BLS transaction from the MES pass the B2MML message as the URL input parameter as described above.

Hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Dipankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

What does it meant by B2MML ?

Thanks & Regards

Sireesha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

B2MML stand for Business To Manufacturing Markup Language.

B2MML is meant to be a common data format to link ERP and supply chain management systems with manufacturing systems such as control systems and Manufacturing Execution Systems.

Regards,

P.S.Kishore kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Are there any other systems like MES to enable planning,Execution,Control,Analysis from the shop floor?

can body list out the available systems in the shop floor for the manufacturing process.(apart from MES).

Thanks&Regards

Sireesha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I want to install SAP xMII Business package for XI, because I assume that all the settings for ANSI/ASI 95 configuration is delivered with this package. I looked at several places mentioned above how to install but couldn't find anything.

I use Xi but I do not use XMII.

Can anybody give a tip?

Many thanks in advance.

Bram