cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Homogeneous Copy vs Full Restore

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We're going to create a new sandbox system copied from our productive SAP ystem.

There are two ways to do this:

1st: SAP / Oracle Installation + homogeneous copy.

2ond: Full restore + change of the SID.

Could anyone advice us which is the best way?

Thanks to all

Á.C.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Angeles,

I think you'll find the restore/change SID method the quickest and least problematic. With the homogeneous copy you'll need disk space to export the data to, and the process to export the data (as far as I know) uses SQL calls to export the data, i.e. SELECT, which will make it slower. With the restore method, I assume you'll have the data available either on tape or disk backup media already. You'll just have to restore from this backup media into your target system and change the SID (which can be handled using R3COPY).

Regards,

Gary

Former Member
0 Kudos

you'l still need to install SAP and Oracle on the destination server. If you're using UNIX you might be able to restore the complete server and make only minor adjustments to change SID, but if you're using Windows, I strongly recommend installing fresh SAP and Database installations on the server, then restoring only the database datafiles files and performing the refresh/rename procedure described in SAP's white paper (you have the homogenous system copy white paper I hope). In the future you will not need to resinstall SAP and database on Windows anymore, you can just restore database datafiles only, but for that first initial install, from personal experience I can attest to the fact that you don't want to get into DLL-hell and registry problems by doing a full system restore like you can get away with on UNIX...just get the CDs and do the 30 minute CI and DI installs.