cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Value Help take no value from the corresponding input field?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a problem with the value help for input fields in web dynpro 4 ABAP.

The value property of the input field is bind to a context attribute,

which has a type from the dictionary and a corresponding dictionary search help.

The input field with the value help on the right side is displayed and

with a click on it the help will open in a popup and worked accurate.

But, if I type something in the input field at first, it will not be taken in the search help! Only if I type *, than I don't have to write the * again in the search help fields.

How it is possible??

And can I solve that problem without create a OVS?

(I tried the input help mode automatic and dictionary search help)

I hope my description was clear and you know what I mean.

Thanks for any hint

kind regards Christian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Search helps work differently in WDA as they do in the SAPGUI.

in WDA they dont seem to take multiple input fields and returns only the first exporting field. Is the search a multiple input SH ? Type copying the search help

and turn all but one field as importing field.

Only 1 exporting field works as well.

If the search returns mutiple fields, only the first one will land in WDA.

This behavior is true to SP8.

I havent analysed the code to workout exactly why.

Cheers

Phil.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phil,

thanks for your answer. I find out that I have to write 1* for example than the help take it. It's logical because if I search without * I currently know what I want and there is nothing to search. Maybe it's not nice but right.

regards

Christian

RalfRuth
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Phil,

That's not quite correct.

ABAP Dictionary Value Helps for Web Dynpro ABAP are designed to behave very similar to the classical Dynpro (SAPGUI) Value Help.

For the field transport this means:

• If the context node of the relevant context attribute is bound to a ABAP Dictionary structure and the input help mode of this context attribute is set to 'Automatic' (or is set to 'Dictionary Search Help' and the specified value help is identical to the automatically calculated), a value transport will take place for all context attributes (= fields of the ABAP Dictionary structure) that are linked with a parameter of the search help.

• If the context node is not bound to a DDIC structure, but the type of the context attribute comes from the ABAP Dictionary, a value transport will take place for this context attribute only. The search help processor calculates the correct parameter to be returned.

• If neither the context node or the context attribute is bound to a DDIC structure/field, a value transport will take place for this context attribute only. The first export parameter of the search help will be returned.

Greetings,

Ralf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralf,

thanks for the information.

If I understood correctly, a manually connected search help that returns multiple fields,

should return the correct field.

If it doesnt we should raise an SMP message .

It is my experience on a project, under sp7 and still under sp8 that only the first field is returned.

This is evident when company code, or version or some other field like that is used.

Perhaps the issue lies with how the framework identifies which field should be mapped.

An example that didnt work.

A context element of DDIC type DPR_TV_RESP_ORGANIZATION

and the search help DPR_ORG_UNIT_COLL .

This combination returned '01' onto the view every time.

When I copied the search help and made OBJID the first and/or only exporting field. It worked.

When I used the Search help PLOMC , it also worked.

I have observed the multiple export issue on other fields involving SAP standard ddic objects.

Perhaps if know exactly what checks the help processor made, I could make sure the appropriate DDIC type was used in the Context.

Since DPR_ORG_UNIT_COLL uses DTEL PD_OBJID_R which is Domain NUMC08

and the DTEL DPR_TV_RESP_ORGANIZATION as used in the standard Structure

DPR_TS_API_PROJECT_O uses domain HROBJID.

Both underlying domains are NUMC lenght 8. Yet the match is unsuccessful.

Is the match done on DOMAIN or DTEL name ?

regards

Phil.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

RalfRuth
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Christian,

That's not a problem, it's exactly as specified. The ABAP Dictionary Value Help for Web Dynpro ABAP behaves like the original Dynpro version:

The value of the field pressed F4 for will be ignored except it contains a pattern (a string containing '+' or '*').

Greetings,

Ralf