cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Web Dynpro

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all.

I recently read something about mobile WebDynpro. Is the only available in Java or in Abap too? What makes a WD4A App mobile? Do I have to use special UI elements to fit to the PDA screen, or is the special rendering already included in WD4A?

Thanks,

Sascha

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sascha,

The support for so called mobile clients has only been implemented in WDJ yet. It's not implemented in WDA.

Basically, it's a special browser support. Certain features of our ui elements (and certain ui elements) are not supported due to the limited capabilities of the client device. There are three new view elements that are specific to mobile devices, such as bar code reader support.

Best regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas.

But it would be possible to run simple WD4A application (text fields, input fields) on mobile clients, wouldn't it?

Regards,

Sascha

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sascha,

In case the mobile device happens to have an IE6 installed or meets one the other browser restrictions in the PAM, it should be possible depending on the other system settings. Nonetheless, there are practical restrictions like available bandwith, ping, available input devices, etc. Would be interesting to try it with one of the newer mobile devices that have a supported browser installed. If you can make it work, please share your findings in a blog.

Best regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas.

Thanks so far. I was just a bit confused but you made things clear.

Cheers,

Sascha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

i tried a little bit to run Webdynpro for ABAP application on some mobile browsers. On Pocket IE based on windows mobile 2003 or 2005 you only get the initial loading screen of the WebDynpro application. But on a Opera mobile browser for Pocket PC you get a little bit more. You can see a lot of webdynpro UI-elements,but the events of the UI-element like OnAction, onLeadSelect, OnEnter etc are not working.

Regards

Frank

thomas_szcs
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

Interesting findings. I didn't expect Pocket IE not being able to handle the initial screen. There isn't anything tough at the first page (a frameset), but later on some tricks are used to keep things flickerfree. Probably, Pocket IE is not able to switch the size of a frame element.

Opera impresses me. It was able to load and display the initial page. Wow. While submitting, the javascript used is not very complex. Probably, the form cannot be submitted, since there a little trick learned from BSP was used, but of course that's all wild guessing.

Thanks alot for trying all these browsers.

Best regards,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

i hope it will be possible to display WD-ABAP in the future on some windows mobile enabled browser.As you guessed there are perhaps only some steps nescessary to display it for example on the opera browser.

I will try a mobile WB-ABAP project on Tablet-PC(with full win32 OS) in the next months.So i will come back with a lot of questions to this forum.

It's good to hear that the developer of the WD Select-Option component is watching this forum:-)

Regards

Frank

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anybody know when WDA supports Mobile Devices?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anybody know when WDA supports Mobile Devices?

Answers (0)