cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to re-read a 2 GB transaction log archived

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've archived with the backup utility the transaction log of my R/3 system cause we had space problems. Now the file backed-up has a size of 2 GB. I need to read it but I can't open because it's too big. Is there any utility or way to read a so big LOG file? Is there any particular function between the database tools I can use to do it?

Thanx

Sonya

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanx very much....I'hve left some feedback points to you for your helpful answer

Kisses

Sonya

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You are welcome. If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

For kisses i'll answer nearly every question

Regards

Clas

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

you cannot read the log file by using notepad or any other tool. The data in the log is only readable from SQL Server itself or a logreader software from Lumigent.

What do you try to find within the log ?

You cannot see the executed statements etc.. Therefor you need to run a profiler trace to trace the statements issued to the SQL Server.

Best regards

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

But is there any command to see the status of the log?I mean....If I'd like to monitor the free space available in the transaction-log file for example with a .BAT I could? is there any command?or it's olny possible by Enterprise Manager SQL?

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

you cannot check the free space from outside the SQL Server as you can't open the actual log file as it is locked by SQL Server. If you want to get the information about free log space you can run the SQL command:

dbcc sqlperf(logspace)

If you want to get the information within a bat file you can use the osql utillity from SQL Server:

@echo off

osql -E -Q"dbcc sqlperf(logspace)"

The -E paramter connects you with a trusted Windows connection to the server. If you hae a named instance you have to specify the -S<Instancename> paramter as well. See in SQL Server Books Online for the complete syntax for the osql.exe utility.

Best regards

Clas

clas_hortien
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

which backup utility did you use (SQL Server Backup, NT Backup, 3rd party tool, ZIP etc.) ?

How do you try to open the file and what is the exact error message ?

You are welcome

Clas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi...

I'm using the owner tool of the Enterprise Manager SQL... the file is originated from the backup option (right click on the DB -- all task -- backup -- etc.etc.).

Than ?ve tried to open it with wordpad and it says that the file is too big.

Do you have any solution to re-read it?

Thanx