cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time estimation of XI installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I saw many treads about XI Installation.

Could anyone of you tell me how did that take you to install XI? What shall I prepare for the time/resource "effort" estimation before I am going to install XI?

Thank you very much.

Jing

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i agree.

But I think the bigger resource problem will be the configuration time of XI.

You have to embed the XI in your company landscape with all network issues…..

Before you start working with integration Builder you have to configure the SLD and create products and software components. This sounds easy but look forward to the naming convention and the transport between developing – quality and productive system.

Reserve 2-3 weeks to get the big picture by playing for XI developer and XI Basis consultant.

Also it will be helpful if there is a JAVA LogFile expert.

In your Runtime Workbench you will get a lot of java Errors which should be solved before you start with productive developing.

Regards Daniel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, Daniel is absolutely right, there is a difference between having the system installed, and having it ready for development. Setting up the system landscape can take a while, mainly in preparation. Especially if you plan on integrating it with Solution Manager, etc, for the SLD.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree. There would be a great difference between installation an XI and having a running system with XI.

Your information helped me to have some ideas how to and what to be estimated in such case.

Thank you.

Jing

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are asking how long it took to install XI 3.0, that will depend upon the speed of your business. In many companies you have to go through various stages.

1. Hardware / SAN / storage team

2. Unix team

3. Database team

4. Basis team

It all depends on the structure of your business. If all your ducks are lined in a row, then installing XI 3.0 shouldn't take very long with an experienced BASIS administrator. The actual installation routine should only take 3-5 days (hopefully less), expecting that you run into issues during the installation. If it is your first time installing SAP, it will most likely take a lot longer.

Planning for the installation however can take a long time, once again, depending upon the speed of business.

As for resources, plan on having a UNIX (or windows) expert, database expert, and a BASIS admin. Or if you have a very good BASIS admin, there is no need for the other two

Once again, an experienced BASIS admin (or basis team) should be able to install XI very quickly. I have been part of a team that has installed it in one business day. But other times I have installed it, it has taken up to a week. So I think that 3-5 business days is acceptable for a good BASIS team assuming that the filesystems were set up correctly, etc by your UNIX team.

Message was edited by:

Harrison Holland

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Harrison,

Thank you for the information. My customer will get ERP and SRM, XI is a manatory for some business contents. I hope in our case that SAP persons will install the system: ERP, SRM and XI. They should be professional, right?

So I would estimate the time for install XI along would no more than a business week if everything is well prepared.

Regards

Jing

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

>>>So I would estimate the time for install XI along would no more than a business week if everything is well prepared.

but it's only one environment

you also need PRD and QAT probably...

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yep, you will most likely be running more than one environment, unless this is a very early stage (sandbox) in development. So you can figure a week for each environment.

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you install XI 3.0

standard ABAP and JAVA stack installation

post configuration steps from post installtion/configuration guides

http://help.sap.com/bp_bpmv130/html/Specific_Info.htm

Regards,

michal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michal

my question is "how long" the time for the standard XI installation?

Has anyone installed XI alone?

thanks

Jing

MichalKrawczyk
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

it depends if you do it for the very first time

or did you do it 20 times

the difference can be very big as there's some config to be done

that's why I gave you links to config guides

Regards,