cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application failure "class file wrong version" in WebAS 6.4 SP15

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

i got a little problem when deploying my j2ee application to the webapplication server..

when i'm trying to access the main-jsp file file it says:

class file has wrong version 49.0, should be 48.0

Jep jep, i already know this is because of a different jdk in my eclipse as it's running on the WebAS... so i changed the JDK on the server which WebAS is running on to the same version: Help => Info in Visual Administrator says "1.50_06" as Java Version is installed, which should be right... So ... the script "SHOULD BE" working - but it doesn't.

Furthermore i read that a tool.jar can be responsible that the classes are not compiled the right way anyway. but i can't find any hint to this tool.jar...

so plz, sb. got an answer to my problem?

system data:
WebAS 6.40 Support Package 15
JDK-Installed: 1.50_06
System: Windows 2003 Server SP1, 2 GB RAM, 2,8 Ghz Xeon

EDIT:

I just found an SAP Hint:

Edit the instance-profile in /usr/sap/<SID>/SYS/profile/<SID>_JC<num>_<host> and add:
jstartup/vm/home = <location of the new jdk>

this seems to work at first look, but unfortunately i now get the failure

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: null

which leads to the fact, that jdk is not working fine..

somebody made experiences with a WebAS 6.4 SP15 compatible JDK 1.5 version?

Message was edited by:

Lars Paetzold

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Web AS 6.40 (NW 2004) requires JDK 1.4.2 as runtime environment. It's not tested with JDK 1.5 and not supported.

The solution I see is to compile your application with jdk 1.4 and try to redeploy it.

HTH!

-Vladimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi vladimir,

thx for your answer, yep yep. but recompiling did not work as far as i know.

i just found out the following fact:

One of the plugins you just installed will be the cause of the problem. Plugins are installed as JAR files, which you can manually remove.

Your error message contains a plugin class that indicates which plugin is causing the problem. Known plugins are:

URL: http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Fix'java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError...Unsupportedmajor.minorversion+49.0'

i think this is because my projects won't run though i've got the jdk 1.4 installed and running.. but i dunno which jar is in conflict with my application...

So my problem really is: <b>why are projects not runnable though i've got the JDK 1.4 and just the jdk 1.4 installed, the classpath set up the right way and so on. i locally tested on tomcat running on 1.4 and got excactly the same failure: <i>Unsupported major.minor version 49.0</i></b>

Message was edited by:

Lars Paetzold

Vlado
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Atlassian Confluence is a J2EE application just like yours. So, it's not strange that you get the same error as the one described on the page linked above. It happens when your runtime is 1.4 but your classes have been compiled with jdk 1.5. Because you can't change the runtime (Web AS 6.40 requires jdk 1.4), you have to change the JDK used to build your projects in the IDE (Eclipse).

Former Member
0 Kudos

think i got it at almost the samt time as your answer murphys law....

for all who got the same problem:

1. Right click on project in Eclipse

2. Build Path ==> Configure Build Path

3. Java Compiler

4. Check the box: Make Project specific settings

5. Choose your destinated JDK (here 1.4 with both source and class compatibility 1.4 either)

6. Recompile the project

7. Deploy

8. Be Happy that it finally works ..

Answers (0)