cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Efforts required to make app running on Mobile Device..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I need your experiences regarding the deploying of an application in real world environment i.e. on a mobile device,

I have a mobile application, but till now I have tested it on my PC/laptop which are almost same in infrastructure,

But I want to know the <u><b>Efforts required to put in on actual hand held device,</b></u>

For example:

1) which all kinds of handheld devices we can use (please give some names)

2) How to put application on mobile device(MI Client as well as the application)

3) How to approach the service provider(for registering my application with them)

4) And most important the the Cost parameters (Budgeting of all these....that is what I have to present to my management)

Please share your experiences for the same,

Thanks,

Deepak

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Please find my answers below,

1) which all kinds of handheld devices we can use ?

Any handheld device which supports Windows Mobile OS 2003 or 2005 can be used, HP iPaq is one such device, for more information you can visit http://service.sap.com/pam

2) How to put application on mobile device(MI Client as well as the application)?

To install MI client, MI provides a cab file which has to be installed. The application can be deployed using Webconsole or Admin UI (same as in laptop).

3) How to approach the service provider(for registering my application with them)?

MI is an offline application, only if you use GPRS you need to worry about a service provider, could you please elaborate this point?

4) And most important the the Cost parameters?

Netweaver licences + device cost

Regards,

Karthik

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

1) which all kinds of handheld devices we can use (please give some names)

A) PPC 2003, PPC2005(Pocket PC..its a PDA).Now PPC 2003 is stoped as there are some issues(performance) with this.HP ipaq PPC 2005.

2) How to put application on mobile device(MI Client as well as the application)

A) There is some difference between Winxp and PDA(Hand held devices):

a) In WinXP we use java J2SK/JRE, but in PDA we need to install CREAME acts as JVM in PDA.

b) In Winxp we use set.exe to install client, in PDA we use CAB files i.e set.cab to install client.

c) IN winxp after assigning application to client we restart the client, here in PDA we do softrest.

3) How to approach the service provider(for registering my application with them)

A) We can send the WAR file to administrators to deploy that application to our PDA.

4) And most important the the Cost parameters (Budgeting of all these....that is what I have to present to my management)

A) PDA costs around 40,000... so you can esitimate upto 40,000-45,000..its all depends

I hope this should be help ful..so these are the implementation differences between a normal Winxp/Laptop and PDA(Hand held devices)

Cheers,

Karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply,

<b>1) & 2) : Answered</b>

<u><b>3) & 4) : Service Provider & its Cost</b></u>:

Actually I want to know how will my application make an online connection using GPRS if some service provider does not support it.

I mean when I try to synchronize my device will connect to some URL (may be webConsole), what exactly is that URL

Then How will I make available that URL my mobile device, because my Server is in my company's network not an external ip,

How will make it accessible like some public ip available.

<b>Because I heard that we need to get that URL registered with the service provider, if it is the case, How to go about it & How much does it cost?</b>

sorry for length of the text, but I needed to explain it,

Thanks for your time,

Deepak

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

1) I think our application in Handheld devices are browser related applications.

2) So when we perform some operation offline in our handheld device(Create record,delete record etc) are locally stored in our device (DBEE), so when we come back and connect our device to SAP server and sync all latest data is retrived from BE and BE is updated with the records in our device.

3) When we sync it our device is connectede to MI server, as it is in Winxp..

Cheers,

karthick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Karthick,

So for offline scenario, its much true that we dont need any service provider's (Hutch, Airtel etc.) help.

But what if I want to run my application online (though sometimes, when there is a need to synchronize with MI Server and we are at some remote location where Http is available).

For example:

<b>I have say material stock in my device database, which I downloaded last day,

now I m in the field, So before putting some order in device, I want to check the actual stock which may be different then last day's stock.

For that case I need to access my middleware from Device through say GPRS (In this case how will I connect to middleware JAVA without the help of some service provider)</b>

I think I have made my query clear.

Thanks

Deepak.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

As your 1st and 2nd quiries were answered by me and Karthik.

3rd and 4th quiries i have posted in other thread and Sascha has answered for that quiries as they are implementing sync by using GPRS connection. please find the answer below.

I hope this info will help you.

Hi Karthick.

I am sorry I do not know all the details. This is all managed by the clients company.

As far as I know the client has a contract with E-Plus which is a large service provider (mobile phones) in germany. So they get SIM cards which are installed in the devices. The mobile phone numbers of these cards are then registered at the services provider side and the client side to define which numbers are allowed to access the connection thrue the access point.

To reach the access point the provider sets up something like a vpn tunnel which can be access by the registerd SIM cards.

I do not know the costs, sorry.

On the device you have to enter the access point and user data in the connection profile for you SIM card / GPRS.

So you should contact some service providers located in you country to find out how everything is set up and how much it costs.

Cheers,

Sascha