cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP support for VPN

Former Member
0 Kudos

A client could require us to connect to remote SAP server via VPN. I've heard that SAP won't support such connectivity. Is this true and what does that mean?

Anyone doing this already and experiencing poor response times?

Thanks,

Charlie

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I need to ask SAP this question.

former_member181887
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Charles,

I'm not sure who or in what context that you heard this from SAP. We have a very large number of customers (if not the majority of them) connecting to SAP backend systems using VPN technologies.

For example check out SAP note 815658 which talks about using VPN as a alternative to SSL for SAP application connectivity (if you can not download SAP's SSL libraries for legal reasons).

Cheers,

Mike.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eddy, you make an excellent point. I appreciate your interest.

I think I'll let this question ferment a little more over the holidays while I cogitate.

Thanks,

Charlie

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Don't forget to reward points if the answer were helpful.

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your info. I know what VPN is and that it works with SAP connections. I guess I need to reword my question a bit:

What does it mean that SAP won't "support" VPN connectivity? Or do they? Have I been misinformed that they won't?

Thanks,

Charlie

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

The question still remains in what context this statement was, since one even suggest in documents like http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/46/875b4243fadc54e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

to use a VPN.

Eddy

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

What exactly do you mean with connecting via VPN? SAPgui towards an SAP server? This certainly does work. I've seen multiple examples of this and we use this scenario too.

Eddy