cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM - Import UOM Dimensions as fractions

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am receiving files from a legacy with material dimensions as L x W x H as whole numbers and fractions. The end goal of the user is to always retrieve the dimensions with the fractions.

How is it possible to import those fractions in a way where the UOM can be modified and still retain fractions? How does the show fraction functionality handle different UOM's?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is it correct then to request that external data being imported be passed to MDM as whole numbers and 3 decimals for L x W x H in inches as a delimited text field? (ex. 1.500 in;2.750 in;4.625 in for 1 ½ in X 2 ¾ in X 4 5/8 in).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

No, I don't think this is necessary.

It's OK if the data you have contains fractions since MDM can handle this.

Also, you don't need to combine the three fields(L, W, H) into a delimited text field if the client systems have them as separate fields. You should have separate fields for Height, Width and Length in MDM so it's actually easier to map if they are also separated in the client systems. If they are combined in the client systems, then the MDM Import Manager allows you to split them into separate fields and map them to the individual fields in MDM.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Richard.

So, I can build my import maps to accept 3 separate fields of length, width, height as fractions from my import file? (ex. length, 5 5/8 in)

Regards,

Brent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, just make sure that those 3 fields in MDM are of type Measurement.

Regards,

Richard

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Brent,

Measurement fields in MDM are a compound data type that support a numeric value along with a physical dimension e.g. length and a unit of measure e.g. inches, feet, etc... This field type can also support fractions which is enabled via the Show Fractions property. The dimension and default unit of measure are defined as part of the field and cannot be changed. The unit of measure itself can be changed as needed by the user.

When you are import your material dimensions, make sure you map them to a measurement type field so that MDM will store all of the information (whole numbers, fractions, UOMs, etc... Depending on how the data is structured in you legacy file, configuration in the Import Manager might be required. There is good information about importing measurement data in the Import Manager Reference Guide or feel free to post additional questions.

I'm not sure if i exactly answered your question but i hope it helps.

Richard