cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MI Client data backup / restore process

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a question regarding to SAP MI Client data backup.

I know you can create a backup by copying the folder where SAP MI Client Application resides but, does it also copy also the entire client database?

For example, my PDA crashes. I reinstall MS Pocket PC and copy the backup folder back. Could I synchronize normally then? Is there anything else to do?

Which kind of <b>backup / restore processes</b> do you use?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ignacio,

When you make a copy of the client folder and then when you make changes and the PDA crashes, your backed up version will not have the latest changes done on the client. There will be a data loss.

If backup is of at most importance to you, you can try installing MI on a CF card or if you use Windows Mobile 5.0 PDA, here the data is stored in ROM anyway. Unfortunately when you use these methods the processing time gets increased as read and write to ROM will take more time.

Best Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

thanks for your answer but I am still a little confused.

Then, <b>even if I have a data loss</b>, can I just copy the folder back and everything will work fine?

Imagine: I create a backup everyday (copy folder to external device), my laptop/PDA breaks then I decide to reinstall OS and just copy this backup folder back. Would everything work?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Igacio,

There is one more dependancy, if you are using db2e as your database, the dlls are stored in the windows folder. When the device crashes the dll files will be lost. In this case you have to copy the dlls files back to windows folder.

Also after you copy your data, you do a sync and then restore the device the data will be inconsistent causing a lot of issues.

If this is taken care off, theoretically just copying the MI folder should work.

Regards,

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Karthik,

you have been very helpful.

Best regards,

Ignacio

Former Member
0 Kudos

hello ignacio,

though copying of the whole MI client + the data folder sounds a very quick answer,

you have to consider that MI client records the last containerID as well as the last

generated local synckey. your client will be out of synched once you overwrite the

copy that had crashed with your backup copy. synchronization would be a problem

then since the last container id (and/or the last synckey and stateids of your syncbos)

won't be in-synched with the middleware state.

in this sense, backup of MI client+data should be feasible only for those applications

whose data were not corrupted during the last operation which caused the problem.

if you are working with generic sync application, it is feasible that your backup copy

can be used but this depends on how the persistence layer is implemented. but for

smart sync case you have to consider the local synckey issue.

regards

jo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ignacio.

When you use generic sync apps you can create a cab file of ur app and you do not need to deploy via webconsole or netweaver administrator. So you can use a storage card to automatically deploy all needed software after an hardreset (MI, CrEme, yourapp). Then you can just implement a backup mechanism which automatically copies the data folder (or content) to storage card after you performed changes on the model.

You can write a little embedded c++ app which automatically copies the data folder back to MI folder after MI was installed automatically directly after hard reset.

Some vendors provide tools for this or you do it by yourself by using autostart features. I implemented this in ME 2.1 SP03 so I am not sure if things in generic sync changed in newer versions.

Currentyl I am facing the same problems with backing up MAU data so this not so easy because we so not want to loose performance.

Cheers,

Sascha.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jo Gel and Sascha,

creating a simple client backup appears to be a really complex process.

Suppose MI clients create a backup every time they synchronize (after sync process) and there is no chance to have problems during synchronization (nothing could go wrong).

One day, while MI client user is working with laptop (not necessary MI app), it breaks. Could client restore the backup and synchronize normally? Note: client has the last synckey and containerID as I can imagine.

I would like to use smart sync but, if impossible, I would use generic sync.

Thanks in advance.

Mensaje editado por:

Ignacio Llopis

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

New problems are showing up. Some users give good ideas to think about.