cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP GUI versus Web GUI

Former Member
0 Kudos

We're trying to make a decision regarding the use of SAP GUI versus Web GUI for a new SAP customer installation. As a grandfathered SAP user, I prefer SAP GUI. Other than SSO, everything is pointing me away from Web GUI as the only way to access R/3 transactions. Can anyone add compelling reasons for me to advise the Web GUI (via EP 6.0) route?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Christian_Cohrs
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

in addition to the performance and administration implications mentioned above, some applications unfortunately only run in SAP GUI for Windows.

So it also depends on the set of applications that you need to make available to your users, whether SAP GUI for Java or for HTML are an option.

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I also have some concern on the performance of the dynamic generation of HTML page to the browser. Also, the network bandwidth requirement for HTML version should be higher than native Window version.

On the other hand, the zero installation of SAP GUI for HTML is very attractive. It could save a lot of on-going user workstation maintenance affort.

In my environment, there are around 1500 active users out of several thousands users located in different locations.

Could you give me some advice please ?

Best regards,

KH

Christian_Cohrs
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't think there is a general answer for this. Usually power user will choose SAP GUI for Windows, because of the benefits you mentioned, while occasional users choose SAP GUI for HTML. Maybe it is possible to divide your users into these two groups?

In the end there are two questions:

- Does SAP GUI for HTML support the application that a user needs to run?

- Does the user accept possible usability limitations caused by the browser framework?

Best regards,

Christian

former_member228142
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Mathew,

with SAP GUI for Windows, SAP GUI for HTML and SAP GUI for Java (the SAPGUI family), SAP let you make the choice which of the GUIs works the best for your users. But that depends on your environment and on the type of your users.

If you have power users i.e. in a call center, where every second counts you may want to prefer the native high performance SAP GUI for Windows for these users. The drawbacks of that choice are that you have to worry about the software installations, upgrades, etc.. For users who work with SAP transactions, but don't require the performance of a native GUI, you might consider SAPGUI for HTML. It runs within standard browsers on Windows, Linux and MacOS X. You don't have to worry about expensive software installations, but you will surely not get the performance of an natively running software. If have have PCs with non-Windows operating systems and don't want to use a web based solution you should check SAPGUI for Java.

SSO should not be criteria, because it works with all SAP GUIs, not only SAP GUI for HTML.

Bottom line: Which SAP GUI is the best, depends on the requirements and tasks of your users. For some of your users the SAP GUI for Windows might be the choice, for others SAPGUI for HTML.

Best regards,

Klaus

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The difference can be made when one has to authenticate to an LDAP server for login, which is not feasable with SAP GUI Win.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Matthew, as described in this thread before, we have three SAP GUI solutions available: Java, HTML, and Windows GUI. For me the main difference between the three is there requirements for availability:

Java Gui: Requires Java Plug-In on client side.

HTML Gui: Requires ITS in your landscape to render pages

Windows Gui: Requires local installation of the solution.

Hope this helps, Tiest