cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NetWeaver 2004s

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have some questions to the new SAP Components .. ERP 2005 ... NetWeaver2004s and so on.

When i look at the help.sap.com documantation of SAP NetWeaver2004s... it looks total different than the 2004 as i know now.

These concept of Application Platform,Process Integration, Information Integration and People Integration is still existing in 2004s right?

As well parts like XI i did't find in this documantation. I know already that it now known as PI right?

Did i see i right when Enterprise Portal ... which now known as NetWeaver Portal get again the name Enterprise Portal with 2004s?

How will these components delivered from SAP in future. Is it still possible to get only single parts of NetWeaver. So Portal, XI ... whatever...

For me its looks like that in future NetWeaver as basis of ERP2005 will deliver only in some kind of a bundle.

I would like to get some Information about these Stategie of SAP... which role plays NetWeaver for SOA, ESA, ERP and so on. And how SAP will deliver these products.

Would be happy about some information about this topic.

Best Regards,

Robin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael-john_turner
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

NetWeaver 2004s is quite different to 2004 in its naming. A nice intro to this is Michael Eacrett's blog at /people/michael.eacrett/blog/2006/06/17/obituary-for-sap-netweaver-components-2003-150-2005

When you install 2004s, you install a usage type, which will install the components needed. For example, PI will install NW AS ABAP, NW AS Java and the PI J2EE component. You will still be able to install the "components" of old, but they are grouped by usage type rather than component (which is quite a bit more logical, if one thinks about it).

MJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Is it only different on installation of netweaver?

How did SAP deliver Netweaver?

Is there ohne package to order like "Netweaver2004s" which contains Application Server, XI, Portal, BW and so on?

Is there some kind of overview about the usage types?

As well I still get problems to understand this new concept oft IT-Scenarios in 2004s...

Regards,

Robin

michael-john_turner
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

No, the differences only start on installation There is indeed one package that contains the NetWeaver platform and it consists of the 'old' XI, Portal, BW, MDM, etc components.

There are some very nice overviews of the IT Scenarios and Practices at http://service.sap.com/netweaver (see the "SAP NetWeaver 2004s - Release-Specific Information" link on the left). Another useful link is https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/developerareas/itpractices.

MJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Michael,

i start to get it a little bit.

So the way to NetWeaver is now over IT-Szenarios(this big colorfull picture )

And over usagetypes like AS, EP, PI etc.

So for different it-szenarios you have to install different types of usagetypes.

And when somebody talks over PI he is talking about XI.

So in the end nothing really change from the functional perspective right?

Regards,

Robin

michael-john_turner
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Robin,

Yes, to implement a particular scenario, you install a particular usage type or usage types.

There have been quite a number of functional changes between NW2004 and NW2004s - see the release notes for more information (BI in particular has seen a lot of changes).

MJ

Answers (0)