cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI- web services

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I've worked with j2EE web services but i'm new to SAP. So I'm ppretty confused about few things----

1. If we are using web services, that means we are not going to use adapters?

2. Can we integrate to an R/3( or any SAP system) system with web services only without using RFC or idoc adapters?

3.I've read that if we are using was>6.2, there is no need for adapters and they will connect through proxiy only? Does this proxy means web service??

Thanks in advance

Piyush

Thanks in advance?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

deviprasad_pothireddy
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Gakhar,

1. I've heard that in future all the integration will be web services based only. what it means?

>> Most of time we use web services to get a data from any server. It is best way to get information. But we may use other services that are depending up on requirement

2. in the link it is mentioned that-"Proxy generation converts non-language-specific interface descriptions in WSDL into executable interfaces known as Proxies"..

that means proxies are again related to WSDL i.e web services..?

>>I don’t have much idea on Proxy generation. Generally we go proxies if we consider the performance issue. But most of time we use adaptors only.

3 is it mean that r/3 system will expose a web service and XI will call that we service (on the sender side)

>>As moorthy said, Using the RFC/idoc adapters or proxies XI communicates the SAP system and generates the WSDL files. Use any web client and consume the WSDL what XI generated.

And also refer this link(SAP)

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

How to use webservices in XI

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/09/03/invoke-webservices-using-sapxi

Regards,

Deviprasad.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasad,

You have provided a link in the last i.e--

How to use webservices in XI

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/09/03/invoke-webservices-using-sapxi

In thisl ink it is given that one can communicate to web service or access a web service using XI. just tell me one thing , accessing a web setrvice is a very simple procedure., then why XI comes into picture. we can access a webservice easily using a java or .net application or so many sytems. . then why should we use XI to access a web service with creating complex procedures.?

Regards,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush ,

The reason to use XI can be many

1 Support of end to end monitoring.

2 Strong integration with sap products.

3 Pre bulit content for various business scenarios.(for e.g conetent for Sap SRM )

4 Business process management (bundling or splitting messages as per requirement)

Thanks,

Tuhin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we integrate a SAP system(as sender) with XI using web services?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes please look at following weblogs

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/03/23/rfc--xi--webservice--a-complete-walkthrough-part-1

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2008/01/08/troubleshooting--rfc-and-soap-scenarios-updated-on-20042009

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/03/28/rfc--xi--webservice--a-complete-walkthrough-part-2

Hope it helps.

Thanks,

TUhin

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>>Can we integrate a SAP system(as sender) with XI using web services?

YES,

IDOC Adapter- XI- SOAP Adapter

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Mr Doss,

You misinterpret what i want to ask?

My question was --If we can use SOAP adapter instead of IDoc/RFC adapter for connecting SAP( any SAP system ) with XI as sender only. Receiver can be any other system..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

To integrate with any SAP system recommended approach is

RFC/BAPI/IDOC or if SAP system is hoisting on > WAS 6.2 use ABAP Proxy.

you can use SOAP adapter for third party system/leagcy system.

Thanks,

Tuhin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tuhin,

Please make me clear on one more thing.

SOAP adapter is for connecting to third party systems using XML or it is for exposing a web service so that any system can can access that web service?

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

You can access any exposed webservice through soap adapter.

For e.g. deploy a webservice on SAP J2EE engine and access it through soap adapter.

But again RFC/BAPI use RFC adapter, IDOC use IDOC adapter,Or use ABAP proxy.

Thanks,

Tuhin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tuhin,

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to know that Is SOAP adapter is involved in exposing( not accessing) a web service?

can we expose a web service through XI?

If XI exposes a web services then third partry can directly access that web service instead of using SOAP adapter?

Waiting for reply

Thanks,

Piyush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Piyush,

Following two things can be done using soap adapter

1 sender soap adapter

You need to configure the sender SOAP adapter to send content from remote clients or Web service servers to the Integration Server/PCK.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/69/a6fb3fea9df028e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

2 Receiver soap adapter

You need to configure the receiver SOAP adapter to send information from the Integration Server or the PCK to remote clients or Web services servers.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/29/5bd93f130f9215e10000000a155106/content.htm

I feel exposing webservice through soap adapter is not possible as far as i know.

Thanks,

Tuhin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tuhin,,

Thanks for your help.

You can also publish and expose a web service from the SOAPadapter. Look at the following link---

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d23cbe11-0d01-0010-5287-873...

Regards,

Piyush

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>1. If we are using web services, that means we are not going to use adapters?</i>

>>>You are invoking/exposing Webservices thru SOAP adapter from XI.

<i>2. Can we integrate to an R/3( or any SAP system) system with web services only without using RFC or idoc adapters?</i>

>>>To integrate with R/3 from XI, you can use 3 ways. Idoc, RFC/BAPI, Proxy.

But you can expose RFC/BAPI as an Webservice without using XI.

<i>3.I've read that if we are using was>6.2, there is no need for adapters and they will connect through proxiy only? Does this proxy

means web service??</i>

>>>Proxy means , it works with native language. for more on -

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/86/58cd3b11571962e10000000a11402f/content.htm

Regards,

moorthy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi moorthy,

Thanks very much for thse answers.

But still i've some confusions.

1. I've heard that in future all the integration will be web services based only. what it means?

2. in the link it is mentioned that-"Proxy generation converts non-language-specific interface descriptions in WSDL into executable interfaces known as Proxies"..

that means proxies are again related to WSDL i.e web services..?

lets assume that there are two system to integrate. sender(r/3 system) and receiver.(.net or java system). Then--

if we are using web services

is it mean that r/3 system will expose a web service and XI will call that we service (on the sender side)

Xi will expose a web service and reciever (e.g some .net or java ssytem)

will call that web service?(on the receiver sideside)

please make me clear on this.

Regards,

Piyush