cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Java startup time

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm just curious does the 2004s Java take 45-100 minutes EACH TIME you start it up? 100 minutes is more than 1-1/2 hours!

What is it doing during that time?

In comparison starting up R/3 is instant.

tnx

Gary

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update, mine has been very inconsistent. Sometimes not being able to complete the startup cycle, sometimes completing.

Yesterday, it was behaving and startup was about 30 minutes.

My system has only 1GB of RAM, and I can see that my 2GB page file has 1.8GB in use. So I can see that more RAM would be better. System is a 1.3GHz P4.

The ABAP WAS in comparison is using 1.46GB of a 2GB page file.

I have both the Java and ABAP Preview installed on individual PCs. Based on what I'm seeing monitoring both servers, the Java WAS will benefit from more horsepower more than the ABAP WAS.

BTW, I am connecting to both WAS from another PC, to eliminate the client side as a resouce factor.

Gary

michael-john_turner
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I've never seen a J2EE engine that takes that long to start, but it certainly does take a lot longer to start than a NetWeaver ABAP system. Depending on the number of deployed applications, etc I've seen times up to 10-15 minutes.

What applications do you have deployed? Is your hardware sized correctly (ie I assume the system isn't spending a large portion of the time pagin)?

MJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

MJ

This is a straight installed system. I have nothing added on that wasn't part of the base install.

It is installed per the spec. The only difference is I have the minimal 1GB RAM vs the "recommended" 2GB of RAM. And seeing how much of the page file is in use (1.82GB) I can see that more RAM would indeed make a difference. BUT would that affect the start up time?

thanks

Gary

suresh_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Gary,

This basically depends on the memory settings and the elements in the cluster too.

You can monitor the startup time of all the clustered elements in the management console.

See this thread too:

Regards, Suresh KB