cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT!!ORA - 01114: IO error writing block to file 256 error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

The system environment is SAP -BW installed on Oracle 8i upon HP-UX 11i.

One of the sapdata files is completely used up 0 bytes left and so unable to extend the file system.

Due to this users are experiencing DBIF runtime error with syslog:

ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 256 (block #

343433)#ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error#HP-UX Error: 28: No

space left on device#Additional information:

343433#ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 256 (block

343369)#ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error#HP-UX Error: 28: No

space left on device#Additional information: 343369

No datafile is added to that particular /oracle/SID/SAPDATA1 file system. Yesterday might night the file system had 1GB left and from 7AM no space is left in that file system. No datafiles created on that file system.

ll command gives all files with current time stamp. No old file stamps.

how to fix it? Is Database downtime required? If i have to move a datafile to someother sapdataX file system so that this file system can be extended, what are the commands to do it? Please help.

Any help will be appreciated with points.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm quite sure that you suffered from a typical PSAPTEMP sparse file problem. See note 659946 and search for "sparse" in this note: Then you find the necessary information.

Regards

Martin

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

During system downtime, moved a small file to a temp directory and increased the sapdata file system. And moved the file back.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all go to DB02 and check the space of the tablespaces. I think 1 of your tablespace is full. Then open telnet connection and logon to ora<sid> user and run brtools. Select space management and increase the size of the tablespace. In this case you don't have to take any downtime. Through brtools if you are unable to increase then you need to call your hardware vendor. For any furthur help reply to me.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

As per Vinod said u have to follow those steps but before that u must have to deactivate the Updates from SM14 and then follow the stepd given by Vinod and then again activate the updtes so that u can not lost the update and database is in consistent state....

If u find it usefull dont forget for reward points...

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Learner,

First check is it system datafile or non system datafile.

If this is non system down time is not required.

sqlplus "/ as sysdba"

SQL> alter tablespace <name> offline;

SQL> !mv <sourcedir/*> <targetdir/>

SQL> alter tablespace <name> rename datafile 'oldpathand name' to 'new path and name';

SQL> alter tablespace <name> online;

SQL> exit

For system datafile u need to down system.Let me know if u need any help reg this.

try to use oracle enterprise manager it is a good tool.

Regards

Vinod

Former Member
0 Kudos

If there was 1 GB left on the filesystem last night, then there are two possiblities.

Either, a datafile was added on the same file system or an existen one was resized to a bigger size.

You have some options, do you use sapdba?

If yes, in sapdba, go to resize datafile option and select all the datafiles one by one from all the different tablespaces that are on the particular filesystem, and use option u to calculated used size.

If the used size is less than the original size of teh datafile, resize it to a small value enough to keep the used size.

This way you might release some space back to the filesystem.

If this doesnt work, gthe you have to take some datafiles offiline and move them to other filesystem both on oracle and OS level.

Regards

Cyrus