cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware - netweaver developer workplace

0 Kudos

Hi together,

are there any experience with this combination in a productive development environment? What are the advantages + disadvantages?

I want to collect some information in this thread:

advantages:

- central maintance of the sw images & patch life cycle

- one image per patch level is possible

disadvantages:

- additional licences (vmware workstation / operating system)

- lost performance (10-15% ???)

Best regards

Marco

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Thanks again Pascal. I rewared this with some points.

Any experience from the others? Perhaps with a terminal server or other solution? Or do someone of you working only with a NWDI+NWDS combination without a local installed application server?

I'm trying to find a good solution for a homogeneous developer environment.

Thanks and best regards Marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you go through this thread for a short info:

- Nagarajan.

Former Member
0 Kudos

VMWare is a good solution for a homogenous developer environment. However, I would only install a WebAS inside it. Reason? A developer will always have files he is working on at the moment you have a new VMWare image. He/she does not want to lose all that.

It's best to give every developer a separate WebAS installation. That way they will not interfere with each other when they work on the same files (overwriting someone else's code when deploying) or when they are debugging.

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

I aggree with Pascal. Only run the Web AS in a VMWare and install the Developer Studio at the physical pc of the developer.

A reason to break this rule could be that you are working with external developers. You could give those a VMWare with a completly installed environment.

I´ve worked with several VMWares (at different customers) in which I had installed both NWDS and Web AS. Additionally to the drawback of multiple installations of my complementary development tools I had the need to look at other projects to find out the way I solved a problem. In 80% of time these projects were in one of the other VMwares which I than had to start. This lead to a lag in development.

Therefore I decided to switch to the "Pascal" solution.

Regards

Helmut

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

Ok, thanks to all participants.

this seems to be a good combination:

One or more vmware + appserver + db

One or more NWDS on the local system.

0 Kudos

Thanks, thread is getting live....

I totally agree with that. The big advantage is central maintaince and no problems in interaction of local installed tools/programs and the available programs on vmware, because all tools (inc. NWDS) stay at the local machine.

The only disadvantages: A new vmware means new settings of the applicationserver, deployed compontens are lost etc and the support of different patchlevels because it's recommended to have the same patch level in NWDS and the application you develop.

Are there also other solutions?

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

I´ve written a blog last year that describes how you can deal with multiple versions of NWDS at your local pc. This is especially interesting if you work for different customers (NWDIs).

Have a look at it <a href="https://answers.sap.com/people/helmut.tammen2/blog/2005/09/27/running-multiple-versions-of-netweaver-developer-studio-on-one-developer-pc--another-approach

Regards Helmut

0 Kudos

Thanks Pascal for your answer.

Can you please give me a little bit more background:

- What kind of machine (PC + RAM) do you use? Some performance problems?

- What are exactly the parts of the NW Developer Workplace you have installed on a vmware image? DB + Aplicationserver + NWDS or only some parts of it?

- Are you supporting the problem of different patchlevels with this solution?

- How many people in your firm working with this solution?

- Are there some problems in interaction of local installed tools/programs and the available programs on vmware?

- Do you also think on other possible solutions, like terminal server?

Thanks for your information and best regards, Marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Some quick and short answers:

- Workstations: Intel Xeon 1.5 GHz - 2.8 GHz with 2 GB of memory (the 1.5 GHz's are pretty slow). It's also running on people's laptops, but I do not know the specs of those. I assume they have at least 2 GB memory

- We only run the DB and WebAS in it. NWDS is running outside the VMWare.

- Different patchlevel support is not our main reason. We wanted to make sure that all developers use the same software and patchlevels.

- I guess about 10-15 people.

- Not that I know of

- No. Terminal Server is not used with this organisation.

0 Kudos

No one is working with this combination (vmware - NW developer workplace) in a productive development environment?

If so, please let me know your experience, because we consider to establish such a combination.

Thanks and best regards, Marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

At the current project we are only using VMWare for local development WebAS servers.