cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport of Java components in XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Our XI consultants are telling us that we should use .tpz instead of CMS for transport of java components through the XI landscape. This sounds like using tp instead of CTS in R/3. They've also told us that CMS must be installed on a separate server or it will introduce instabilities into XI. I see that using .tpz will put us at risk of an inconsistent landscape and it won't provide an audit trail. I'd like to know what others are using and why you chose that method (especially if you are using .tpz).

Regards,

Stan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

moorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

It depends.

In many of the implementations we are using File import/export mechanism.

It is easy to use. But for a few number of interfaces it is good rather maintaing in a separate tool

If you are having very large number of interfaces, then you can think of CMS to track the transports etc.

Regards,

Moorthy

former_member206604
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Moorthy said you can use either of the ways. You can either export it as .tpz files and import it in the other system. Or you can configure CMS and do the transport. But even while exporting XI will generate the .tpz files with versions so you can always have a backup of the other versions as well. You can try exporting a same software component twice and see what happens .

Regards,

Prakash

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stanley,

As you have rightly said for auditing or say for SOX compliance related stuff you need Systems like CMS.So you should not use Export/Import File method for transports.

Secondly CMS should have dedicated WAS server for it.

Thanks,

Tuhin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Stanley,

There are some disadvantages of using CMS. For me CMS looks like not fully suitable to XI. But if you have more than 10 interfaces and you are going to develop new one it's much better than file system because here you have at least some control of transports. CMS is not so nice as standard R/3 transport system but it can be extremely hard to maintain a big landscape without it. Other advantage of using it is that other java solutions are using it. So it's nice to have it for the future.

Regards,

Wojciech