cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ALL,

This can be a useful topic to discuss for all of us.

System Configuration:Win Adv server 2k, Oracle 9, 1 Gb RAM, p4 2.9 GHz Processor, Intel Original Motherboard, 80 Gb HD

<u>Is Partition necessary to install SAP? If yes, then details.

Number of users to be specified when installing OS?

Steps to install SAP 4.7 on above system??</u>

Looking forward for a great support.

Regards,

Sud

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Partition is very much necessary.Plan accordingly that the maximum drive space is used for oracle installation.

Number of users doesnt matter much at the time of installation.(If you have sized the hardware and O/s synchronizing the DB size, absolutely no problem).

You will get a detailed step by step installation procedure in marketplace.Rather than going blindly with a standard procedure of SAP installation its always better to follow the exact document in the market place for the DB and OS.

-

Subbu

Former Member
0 Kudos

A small heads up when you install to many partitions on one disk.

Since you "only" have 1Gb of memory both SAP and OS will swap on the same physical disk as you have the DB and SAP software this means that the disk is gonna have a lot of activity at the same time and slow it down dramatically.

I've done several installations as this one and almost everytime we have ended up to split the installation up on more disks. It will crawl but it will work on only 1 physical disk.

Soo as long as you do this just for your own pleasure it's OK, but if you are gonna have a bunch of application people to do stuff on the machine, you are gonna have a bunch of applications people bugging you and complaining about the performance.

If this is a question of money even seperating stuff on older and small IDE disks may speed up the system. Say the SWAP on a 10Gb disk and so on.

But as I said it will wok if it's just for you to learn how to install a SAP system.

Cheers,

Mathias

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sudhanshu,

Yes you can have DBMS on one hard drive and SAP on other hard drive.

Not only this you can have DBMS on a seperate server and SAP on a seperate server. This is called distributed installation. Then one you you want to do is termed Central Installation (if i rememeber correctly-).

Yes the other partition should be NTFS.

80 gb is sufficient and parameters you want are also okay.

However I would advise for high memory ( 1 GB atleast..if possible go for 1.5 GB RAM though SAP installation guides suggest that 512 MB is also okie). Also good swap space value would be advisable.

One real advice I would like to give you is to go through the installation guide thoroughly. Not only will it answer most of your queries but will help you immensly during installation. Some times we tend to ignore these guides and get struck. So it is an honest suggestion from my side to check the installation guide.

Please award points for useful answers.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ya realy good.

Regards,

sachin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sudhanshu,

Please find the answers:

1. Is Partition necessary to install SAP? If yes, then details.

It is advisable to have partition. In case of windows I would not like to have SAP and OS on the same drive. However basically SAP recommends mulitple hard disks so that data files are seperate redo log files are seperate and so on. These details you can find on 4.7 installation guide.

2. Number of users to be specified when installing OS?

Does not really matter. However make user that the administrator user has all authroizations. At the time of installing SAP two users <sid> adm and <sid>service adminsitrator will get created. SAP will take care of that.

3. Steps to install SAP 4.7 on above system??

For this the best thing do is to read the installation guides. Goto SAP Market Place-Release and Upgrade InfoInstallation and Upgrade Guides-SAP Components----SAP R/3 enterprise. Next select the version you want and look for the installation guide for Windows and oracle.

Please award points for useful info.

Regards.

Ruchit.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruchit,

Thanks! I am having further questions:

In SAP can I install DBMS etc on a partition of another HD when SAP is installed on other HD and thereby access it through SAP?

Is that other partition has to be NTFS?

For SAP 4.7, Is 80 gb sufficient where about 10 gb partition for OS and rest one patition (70 gb) for SAP and DBMS etc.?

Thanks for ur interest !

Regards,

Sud